What's the best .338 Lapua?

Antelope_Sniper

Handloader
Jan 25, 2008
A friend of mine has decided he wants a tatical style .338 Lapua. Not having any direct exposeure to this caliber myselft, I'd be appreciate haring from those of you who have shot, or own them.

I think the biggest contenders at this time are:
Barret 98B
Sako TRG42
Accuracy International AWSM.

He's also open to new ideas as well.

Thanks.

Antelope_Sniper

Fellow member OU812 has a 338 Lapua built on a Weatherby action.
It is a tack driver and he is getting 250 gr PT's well over 3000 fps.
Case life is forever with the Lapua brass he is using.
I'm sure he will chime in on this post shortly and give you all the details you need to know.

JD338

For what you gonna pay, why not go the custom route. There's a lot of gunsmith out there who are capable of building you one that can out shoot those rifle that you've mentioned.

Here's my 338 Lapua Ackley Improved built by Nathan Dagley of SSG Gunsmithing. No Barret or TRG's can touch this rifle as far as accuracy is concerned.

Target017.jpg

3 shot shot group @ 110 yards

Picture174-1.jpg

5 shot group @ 110 yards

Picture174-3.jpg

3 shot @ 510 yards

Target001.jpg

3 shot @ 535 yards

Target021.jpg

Target023.jpg

DF,

Some fine shooting, indeed. And it looks as if the rifle will work as well.

Antelope_Sniper":1kipa6pq said:
DF, That's a mighty fine rig.
What kind of action is it built on?

Here's the rifle spec:

1. Lawton 7500 Single Shot Action
2. 30" - 9.35 twist 6 flutes Broughton Barrel
3. McMillan A-4 Tactical Stock
4. SSG Extreme V-Brake
5. SSG Custom Bolt Knob
6. Lawton 20MOA Picatinny Base
7. Seekens 6 screw Tactical Rings
8. Rifle Basic Trigger
9. Leupold MK-4 Tactical Scope with TMR Illuminated Reticle
10.US Optics Anti-Cant level
11.Angle Cosine Indicator

The rifle is extremely accurate, If I do my part. I can launch the 300 SMK at 2850 fps and will remain supersonic up to a mile - and still has over 1000ft/lb of energy left. The farthest I shot this rifle was at 1600 yards, and my Exbal Ballistic program were dead on using the bullet listed B.C of .768. I'm still learning how to shoot the rifle at extreme ranges. Here's an interesting thread that I've had at another Forum.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthr ... Post832260

Yes, DF, I'll be "learning" how to shoot at long ranges for a long time. The wind in Wyoming can be killer on long range shots. I have a Lawton Barrel, I'm glad to hear you like your Lawton action. I'll have to ask my buddy if he's interested in going custom. We have a very good long range customer smith just outside of Denver.

Yes! wind is always a factor and very hard to predict. I love my Lawton Action. It's a real value. As a matter of fact, I will be ordering the 8000 model pretty soon for a project that is on the planning stage. If you go the custom route, I recommend the Ackley version of the 338. They're much more efficient and generate less bolt trust. Brass will have a longer life due to a very sharp 40 degree shoulder angle thereby resisting growth. But the most important of them all though is the cool factor, being it's an Ackley. :wink:

Here's the comparisson between the regular 338 Lapua and the Ackley version.

Picture177-2.jpg

Side by side comparisson with the 223 in both version.

Picture178-2.jpg

DF: I gave him the "Go Custom, or Go Home" pitch last night, with the link to your rig. I don't think there is much arguing with your results.... hmmm and I like the look of the A4 stock....We will see what he decided.
Thanks to everyone for the input.

DF, what can you tell me about your .223 AI? Have any feeding issues?

BK":3g37p9m6 said:
DF, what can you tell me about your .223 AI? Have any feeding issues?

BK, My 223 Ackley is the single shot Cooper Phoenix. No issue with feeding here. It pushed the 50 grain V-Max at over 3400 fps.

Picture180-2.jpg

Back