308 Winchester for Elk....?

Hi Jag
2 points on the 308......

1. I have shot 5 bull moose with the 308. All succumbed readily. Just put the bullet in the boiler room. None were too far -- 40 yards to 175 yards. The one at 40 yards was shot ass-wise (he had been wounded already.) That 180 Nosler Partition entered him on his right inside round, travelled the length of the moose, and was recovered on the hide of the left brisket/shoulder area, after damaging part of the right lung, and taking out the top of the heart.

2. Would you go elk hunting with a 30-06? Just hunt up 50 yards closer. That 165 or 180 gr. projectiile is a 30-06 projectile, just launched 50 yards farther away. Would you hunt elk with a 300 WinMag? You're holding one in your hand. Just move up 100-120 yards. Don't believe me? Just check any ballistics chart.

Would I take a 400 yard shot at a 1200 lb bull moose with my 308? Well, if he gave me a broadside shot and I had a good rest, hell yes, because my 308 with my 165gr Partition load shoots 3.75 inch 5-shot groups at 400 yards. Would I take that shot with my 300 Winmag? Probably not. It doesn't shoot as tight, and the damn thing kicks too much. I'd be worried about flinching and crippling it.

Happy hunting with your 308 !!!

I will add, Limit the range even more if you are in thick timber with rain that kills tracking or very steep hell hole country. You will want to drop the Elk ASAP in these situations. Hit them hard and you will limit the hell holes or impossible tracking jobs.

I have a friend who has used the same Browning BLR from the early '70s until now in .308! He uses nothing but 150gr Remington factory ammo or reloads with the same bullet. He has killed wads and wads of mule deer, elk, coyotes, even a big wild Henry Mountains cow buffalo! ( the buffalo was shot around 125 yds, broadside with complete penetration!) Some guys here in Utah use the 308 with a hot loaded 200gr Speer for timber, while many use the 165 TSX with good results. I've used it with 165BT on exotics in .308 (axis) its a good round.

Taken a pile of elk with the .308 Winchester, from 7 yards, 100, 150, 305, 502 and the farthest I shot one with the 7.62 was 643, that was pushing it with that round and 168 TSX. Luckily it was a high shoulder shot, just under the spine and dropped her DRT. Expansion was minimal to say the least.

Lots of good info Guys.
Building a stronger confidence in this caliber.
Keeping in mind good bullet placement, I think it'll do the job I'm gonna ask.
As some of you pointed out, superb accuracy fills some lack of horse power, if any....

I've killed an awful lot of big game animals but never an elk so you can take my comments for what they're worth. :grin:

I have read repeatedly just how tenacious any elk can be, never mind a big bull. Some shooters recommend that you keep shooting until they don't move because elk, at times, drop and then get up and cover significant distances.

With all of this in mind I just have one question - why would anyone select a .308 win for shooting elk? Yeah I know, you can take deer with a .223 so why not elk with a .308. I'd still ask; why when there are so many more appropriate cartridges available?

Elk are on the bucket list and when we are preparing to go my cartridge selection will likely begin with the 300WBY.

:idea: One item that I failed to add to my post the other day was foot pounds of energy. I am a firm believer in the recommended minimum 1500 ft. lbs of energy for elk. Like any other "guide" it is not set in concrete, but after many years of field observation, I think it makes sense and is a great guide for anyone with any cartridge. It is just another tool in the toolbox that will help define the limitations of a cartridge.

Charlie - I've only shot one elk - a whopping nice 6x6 bull up high on a horseback & hiking hunt in Wyoming.

(yes, the fellow in those photos is 15 years younger than I am now - a little lighter and tougher too I think)

I went with the 7mm Rem mag, because I shot it a lot better than I shot any of the .300 Win mag rifles I had owned. There was just enough difference in recoil, for me to notice the 7mm was easier for me to shoot well.

The bull fell to one well placed, 175 grain Nosler Partition.

I think a .30-06, .308, .280, or most other mid-powered hunting rifle cartridges, with a good bullet, would have done as well.

My 7mm mag load was a 175 at roughly 2900 fps. My .308 Win can move a 165 at 2800 fps - not all that much difference...

I'd think the same thing would apply to a lot of us. My partner on that trip had taken over 20 elk at that time, I think his score is edging up to or past 40 now - and he usually uses a little .358 Wincheter/Browning BLR with an Aimpoint red-dot sight on it. The .358 is just a necked-up .308 Win.

Most of my elk-hunting buddies around here just use their normal mule-deer rifles. Most only have one or two hunting rifles and just "make do" for our local mule deer, elk, and the occasional black bear. Elk are strong, but they're not bullet-proof. Put that bullet where it belongs and you'll do fine.

At least in my admittedly light experience with elk hunting.

Regards, Guy

Elk can be a very tough critter when hit poorly. When hit properly they die like all the rest. A .308 will cleanly handle any elk under 400 yards when hit properly. I have seen the 7mm-08 cleanly and routinely handle elk out to 400 yards with 140 gr. AB's. One shot kills.

Caliber and bullet will not make a poor shot good. Often times larger calibers are not shot as well due to flinching/ recoil.

Good luck in whatever you choose! Be careful though, elk hunting is highly addictive!

jagermeister":3jwtiw5l said:
Hi Folks,

how would you see this caliber performing on the big Elk ?

Is there Any of you Guys who uses it ? ....what results ?

I know there are better calibers out there for this type of game...but...
...if one has already a rifle chambered in 308....does it really need to upgrade or the old round would still do the job well enough, even for "stretched out" long shots ?

What bullet weight/type would you reccommend ?

Thanks (y)
JM

I as well as my dad have taken both bull elk and bull moose with an old Browning .308. I definately recommend the 165gr Partition as the pill of choice with the .308 on any of the large game. Most of the shots that I have taken large game with the .308 have been under 300 yds.

Elkman":39dfe8op said:
:idea: One item that I failed to add to my post the other day was foot pounds of energy. I am a firm believer in the recommended minimum 1500 ft. lbs of energy for elk. Like any other "guide" it is not set in concrete, but after many years of field observation, I think it makes sense and is a great guide for anyone with any cartridge. It is just another tool in the toolbox that will help define the limitations of a cartridge.

Agree a 100 percent. While not concrete all by itself. Combined with great Bullets impacting at above 1800FPS isn't a bad way to go!

I think good bullet placement IS more important than horsepower, all things being equal (no I won't be taking a .22 after elephants). :)

Cactus Jack O'Connor was successful with his .270 and .30-06 rifles because he was a good shot. He took all manner of game with them because he put good bullets where they needed to go.

You'll be successful with your .308 if you put good bullets where they need to go.

Good luck -

Dale

What bullet weight do you believe to be the "Jack of all trades" for the .308 ? 165/168 or 180's ?
Surely the 165 Partition is an awesome pill.....
Anyone has experience with 168 A-max or 165 Swift Scirocco ?
I was considering them particularly for long shots on Deer sized game...
TY

Typically I rely on the 165/168 gr bullets for my .308 Win. Keeps things real simple for me.

I only dropped down to the 125's for Dani, to cut recoil. It worked! She shoots that little rifle great with the 125's!

Almost always Varget for powder as well.

Guy

In my humble opinion, if you are shooting longer ranges (over 300 yards) I would go with something a little softer than the TSX bullets as expansion at lower velocities will not be as good. A cup and core 165 or 180 or a Nosler Ballistic tip would be the ticket.

I personally feel the 165 grain Partition is the best all-around bullet for the .308 or .30-06 as far as premium hunting bullets go. I have also had great performance on deer with the 150, 165 and 180 grain Hornady hunting bullets in .308 caliber.

Premium bullets perform well in standard calibers at the shorter distances where velocity is higher. Most of the bullet flubs I have seen have been from a premium bullet not opening up at longer range where velocity is dipping (in some cases significantly) below 1800 fps.

Depending on how you're loading them, you can shoot out to and a little past 400 yards before dipping below 1800 fps velocity. Cup and Core bullets still open reliably at this speed where the premiums sometimes don't. So really what you choose to go with depends on what game you plan to shoot, and how far away.

If it's for deer only I think a 165 Ballistic Tip would be THE bullet to go with. The various 150 grain bullets always start out faster but the 165 and 180 grain bullets have caught up by about 150-200 yards and carry for the longer distances much better.

I have extensive experience with both the .30-06 and .308 having hunted with one or the other for the majority of my hunting since 12. They are both fine weapons and will do anything here in North America provided the "nut behind the bolt" doesn't wiggle loose. :)

Good luck -

Dale

...well, in theory, using the same bullet, terminal ballistics will be the same, the major difference is 'distance'. Granted, the .300 WM will deliver much higher MV's/ energy @ shorter ranges, but the .308 will deliver enough @ most normal ranges to do the job just fine. Shoot an elk @300yds. w/ a .308, he should end up just as dead as one shot @ 600yds. w/ a .300 WM...

I like the 150-165gr bullets in the .308... I think it lacks the case capacity to be useful with a 180 in open country, in timber it'd be just fine.

I also think the differences are pretty small- I'd just take a 165.

I've killed a dozen bulls. I killed my two most recent with a 7mm-08 and 140 gr Partitions. The 2013 bull was only 68 yards, so no real test, but he went down after a step and a half forward and a step and a half back. One shot.

This years' bull was 346 yards and he went straight down, bang, hooves in the air. One shot behind the shoulder. My dad used a single 140 AccuBond on his big 5x5 at 225 yards this year, also 7mm-08.

I sure as heck wouldn't feel under gunned with a .308.

P

Back