6mm Remington

Deerslayer0823

Beginner
May 21, 2015
I understand Remington did a huge disservice to the 244/6mm Remington......but from what I have been reading, the 6 is easier to handload, and is 100-200 fps faster.

I don't understand why it is an almost dead cartridge.

Is there anyway to help revive or put new life into this cartridge?

Can I get some good stories from people who use it, or have used it?

Welcome to the forum, there are a bunch of 6mm Remington fans here that will be along shortly. I don't understand either why an excellent round doesn't do well and others that aren't as well designed are popular.

Well, you've got a couple of posts that are pretty much duplicates, so welcome aboard! :mrgreen:

Couple of us have been using the 6mm Remington for a good long time now. 40 years for me.

It's a dandy little cartridge. Does everything the .243 Winchester does, with a tad more zap, but it's harder to find ammo and/or brass. Recoil is nil. Loading is easy. Accuracy is excellent. Hunting? Nicely filled tags are the result.

Love it for varmint shooting. Rock Chuck Soup!

It's pure death on coyotes - if a .223 has ever left you wondering what happened to that 'yote, a .243 Win or a 6mm Rem will please you...

My son and I have used it on whitetail & mule deer with excellent success.

Ol' "6mm Remington" will be along shortly I hope to show us how well it deals with elk, which is quite well indeed.

Regards, Guy

Remington had too slow of a twist on their rifles when first presenting this round to the public. They imagined it as a varmint round. Winchester imagined the .243 as a large game round. Remington never caught up after ceding the field to Winchester. Still, the 6mm Rem is a fine round that punches far above its weight class. Welcome aboard.

Thank you for the warm greetings!

I just acquired a Remington 760 Gamemaster in 6mm Remington. It's 46 yrs old, made the same year I was born.

I just got reloading equipment for the 6mm Rem!
I'm PUMPED, pardon the pun!
I want to splatter something or down a 'yote!
LOL

It is too good of a cartridge to just let go away for sure. As others have said, it's easy to load for and accurate, and does have a little bit more pop than the .243 Winchester. I've sure used it a lot for gophers, coyotes, antelope, deer, and elk. So has my son. There are some really great bullets that let the 6mm perform very well on deer sized animals and can even be used for larger game with well placed shots. The 90 gr. AccuBond and E-tip, the 100 gr. Partition, and one of Guys favorites, the 95 gr. Ballistic Tip are all excellent bullets. Here's some proof in the pudding.

Boone & Crockett ram taken with one shot with a 6mm Remington and 100 gr. Nosler Partition.

My son's cow taken with one shot at 350 yards using the 90 gr. E-tip. She went 20 yards and dropped.

antelope buck taken at 400 yards with the 6mm and 100 gr. Partition.

Another elk with the 6mm and 100 gr. Partition at 30 yards. Two shots although he was done after the first one.

Here's what my favorite bullets look like out of the 6mm being shot into water jugs at 400 yards. They all penetrated into the 5th jug and almost out into the 6th. Each opened well and held together very well. When you pick a good bullet like these Noslers it makes the little 6mm perform like she's quite a bit bigger. Love this cartridge.

Welcome deer slayer and let us know if we can help with some loads to get you started!

Those are amazing pictures!

I can't wait to use my 760 on hunts like yours!

I have hunted in the past with the .243 Win, and think it's an outstanding round!
After I use my 760, I'm sure I'll feel that same thing about the 6mm, plus more!
I am a die hard fan of Nosler bullets and their performance, and can't wait to use them in my 6mm!

Make sure you follow SAMMI specs in that rifle and FL size every time. Those actions are weaker than bolts or #1's.

Thanks for the heads up, will definitely do! I'm not a hotrodder, thankfully.
I do have a factory crimp die I will be using as well.
I do know that the round runs at 52000 cup, and will not be going over that pressure wise.

The .244 Remington was released to the world as a varmint cartridge with a 1:12 twist.

The world wanted a small big game cartridge that would shoot 100gr bullets...a'la the .243 Winchester.

Remington figured it out too late and the resulting re-named 6mm Remington has never (and is unlikely to) catch up to the .243WIN despite being a technically better cartridge.

Back in early 70's in East Texas the 6mm Remington in a Remington Mod 742 was considered "ne plus ultra"! ha. Everyone I knew who had one used Remington factory 100gr corlokt and killed everything from coyotes to whitetail to hogs with them! My BIL still uses his. I never saw one in a pump, in fact, the only few pumps I saw were the older Mod 760 in .308. I have another BIL who had/used an old Remington Mod 788 in 6mm too. In fact, I saw one, just one, .243 then, all the rest were 6mm! I have used 6mm wildcats ( 6mm/284; 6x47; 6mm/30-30 Improved) .243, 6mm Remington, .240 Weatherby, all on varmints to Scimitar Horned Oryx. For big game, I liked the 85gr Barnes XBT and 90X. I've turned prairie dogs into a grease spot with the 65gr VMax from a bull barreled 6mm Rem. Killed antelope with the 95 NBT. While I enjoyed them all, and favor the 240W, I personally feel like the 6mm Remington is the easiest to find good loads for and is a real killer. To me "It's the 30-06" of the 6mm family, meaning it will just do all you would want a 6mm to do! If your trigger is too "mushy" in your pump, Timney makes a replacement, not sure if it will work in the Mod 760 ( it will for the 7600 series) but a good gunsmith can lighten it up for you.. Remington pumps with good triggers will shoot with 95% of the good bolt guns out there! Have a ball!
P.S. www.barnesgunparts.com has a $9.99 trigger kit for the Mod 760!

David - in the photo with the Boone & Crocket ram, who's the young fellow in the blue shirt? :mrgreen:

Guy Miner":2zkzka7p said:
David - in the photo with the Boone & Crocket ram, who's the young fellow in the blue shirt? :mrgreen:
He looks familiar! :lol: :grin: If you look closely Guy he's wearing an elk Ivory necklace for good luck!! I ended up giving that necklace to a family member so I don't have one any longer.

Bryce welcome to the forum! Glad to have an ex USAF cop around and a good friend of mine!

Bryce and I have killed tons of prairie dogs when he lived here in Cheyenne! Anyway.....

I prefer the 6mm over the 243 personally. Remington did screw the pooch by giving it a slow twist 1:12 which limited its use to 90 grain bullets. Remington marketed it as a varmint gun. Winchester was smarter and went with a 1:10 twist and marketed it as a dual purpose gun.

I'm another with a 243 but would absolutely love a 1-8 twisted 6mm Rem. Cool cartridge and really is a balanced cartridge.

Welcome to the forum. Can't wait to see the pictures and your targets. David has tested the good ones. Seems like a 90AB around 3100 would be pretty danged serious medicine.

224002_1061880826688_3958_n.jpg

My 6mm does with my #1. 236 yards 100 gr Hornady bt

Thank you for the great intro Fotis!
It's true, Fotis and I go way back! Not only is he a good friend of mine, but I can attest to his shooting abilities, his integrity as a hunter, and all around stand up man that he is.
If Fotis suggests a load for your rifle, it's that he has already experimented with several loadings and he is giving it to you straight.
I do miss going and vaporizing the prairie dogs we would hunt! LOL
I miss Wyoming SO much, and my buddies, and our hunting expeditions.

We think he's a pretty good guy too - but we try not to tell him. He gets all goofy on us when we say he's "pretty good." :mrgreen:

Fotis is also my fearless antelope guide. He is also a top notch cook too. :mrgreen:

The 6mm Rem is a terrific round. The 100 gr PT makes for an great all around bullet.
Good luck with your load development.

JD338

Back