Grizzly Bear with .30-06

Hard for much of anything to live when the spine is impacted as was that bear's spine. Had the bullet missed the spine, the damage to the lungs was minimal and the outcome could have been quite different. There was sufficient power (velocity and mass) in that particular bullet to smash the shoulder, destroying the lungs and heart and possibly the opposing shoulder. Neat video. Necropsies always capture my attention.

Not very impressive damage to the vital organs, I'd say very lucky they broke the spine. There is nothing wrong with the 30/06 for any bear, especially with that 200gr Partition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, that guy was lucky. Same shot probably could gave been made with a 6.5X55 with a 140, but that doesn't make it a great Griz round.

Not trying to piss on anybodies Cherio's, but the All Mighty '06 is just a minimum, Not a 'Go To' for that type of hunting.

Speaking of bears, a few I danced with over the summer. My dad killed several back in the early sixties with the 06, but he thought a 375 to be a much better option.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    349.4 KB · Views: 4,261
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 4,261
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    365.5 KB · Views: 4,261
Fellas -

Don't take this the wrong way, was not espousing the .30-06 as the quintessential bear/elephant/t-rex rifle per se, was just impressed that someone was able to bring a griz down with one shot using a .30-06. The gun scribes continually fill volumes of how incapable a .30-06 is on bears (and a lot of other animals too) it seems.

Given my druthers I would take a .338 or .375 etc. if going out specifically for bears just like anyone else but wouldn't feel like I was standing there with only a willow switch in my hands if I was to have to shoot one with a .30-06 either.

Just thought you guys would enjoy the video.

Dale

I find these threads amusing sometimes, a 30-06 is plenty for grizzlies. Probably more have fallen to it than any other cartridge, these days it is even better with all the top notch premium bullets available. For most grizzly hunting I would feel totally fine with a 270 and my favorite 160 gr Partition.

The grizzly I shot in 2011 with my now gone 375 Ruger was interesting. I totally messed up the shot and the bear got into the thick bush and was not able to recover it till the next morning. I can assure you a 375 cal bullet too far back does not work well at all but had I shot that bear in the lungs with my 260 or 264 it would have died very quick.......

Thanks for posting the clip, I always like seeing bear hunting video's.

Yes, I sometimes find them amusing, too - And very situational.

If your hunting griz and get to shoot the first shot without the bear knowing your even there - That is a completely different situation than stopping a charging griz.

But somehow these 2 situations seem to get very tangled up and entwined.

Good thing he hit the spine. Glad he got the bear.

JD338

Makes me think of the guy who was killed by a Grizz while field dressing his record book Moose. The guy never knew what hit him and the guide never had time to get off a shot. Good that it worked out for them. CL

Interesting video. I'd say he was a pretty lucky guy. A pair of partners and I got on a really nice griz this year. I played highway flagger and directed them through the brush to the bear using a game bag on a stick (we aren't allowed to use radios or phones to guide people to game here). It worked. My buddy let fly with a .300WM and a 180gr TSX... the bullet most likely zipped straight through the hump without hitting the spine or anything else vital.

Things got interesting. Once the bear started running around neither of them could hit a thing... A long day tracking that bear in the brush that almost certainly lived another day.

One thing I noticed about the bear in the video- it seemed pretty small when they were messing with the carcass... I know even a 5' bear will whip your butt, but a 5' bear and a 8' bear are two different critters entirely. No flies on the '06, it's worked- but I tend to think bears sort of deserve to be whacked with a little bigger stick.

Cool stuff. Spine shots sure do stop the action in a hurry!

Love the .30-06, and it is impressive on many game animals. I'd hunt grizzly with it - if necessary. With good bullets, heavy Noslers would be my choice.

But... I've got this .375 Model 70... (y)

Guy

gerry":r76g9rlz said:
I find these threads amusing sometimes, a 30-06 is plenty for grizzlies. Probably more have fallen to it than any other cartridge, these days it is even better with all the top notch premium bullets available. For most grizzly hunting I would feel totally fine with a 270 and my favorite 160 gr Partition.

The grizzly I shot in 2011 with my now gone 375 Ruger was interesting. I totally messed up the shot and the bear got into the thick bush and was not able to recover it till the next morning. I can assure you a 375 cal bullet too far back does not work well at all but had I shot that bear in the lungs with my 260 or 264 it would have died very quick.......

I have been chastised for speaking my mind, but this is a topic I have some experience with and I agree with Gerry. I hunted for the first hunting years of my life with a 30-06 and 180 gr bullets for everything, which included Grizzly and Polar. For the record it was the only gun I owned.

yukon huntress":3aviyhzt said:
gerry":3aviyhzt said:

I have been chastised for speaking my mind, but this is a topic I have some experience with and I agree with Gerry. I hunted for the first hunting years of my life with a 30-06 and 180 gr bullets for everything, which included Grizzly and Polar. For the record it was the only gun I owned.

Which goes back to shot placement is paramount.

JD338

Yukon Huntress - thanks for contributing, and you too Gerry - most of us only dream of someday being able to hunt grizzly or polar bear!

You both speak from experience. AWESOME! (y)

Guy

As most have said shot placement is everything. With today's premium bullets and powders that produce near magnum velocities in non magnum rounds some are now better than adequate then several years ago. I for one would not feel comfortable with the old aught six though, not on toothy critters that can hunt back and eat you. Elmer Keith famously said "Bring enough gun". I would have to bring the biggest I could shoot well for grizz.

yukon huntress":12o1jf27 said:
gerry":12o1jf27 said:

Cheyenne,

Shame on you for misleading these good people! Everyone knows that bullets frtom an '06 will bounce off a moose. :grin: And grizzlies are tougher than moose! :mrgreen:

I would not be undergunned with an '06, especially with some mass in the bullet. In '05 I dropped a grizzly with one shot from a .356. The bullet was travelling at ~2300 fps when it broke both shoulders. Mass, even at modest velocities, is still of great value. The shot referenced in the opening was nevertheless a "lucky" shot, I should imagine. Had the bullet hit the shoulder, I have no doubt it would have broken the shoulder and penetrated into the vitals, killing the animal rather quickly. Still, there is no argument that a spine shot takes the fight out of a bruin very quickly. Moreover, when everything that can go wrong does go wrong, I do like having as much gun as I can handle when encountering grizzly.

Its all about placement and bullet construction!!!! I'd gladly use the 06/200pt combo on any Alaskan game, even most African game. Poke them in the ribs=dead critter.

The biggest bear I have ever seen was taken by one shot with a 300 SAUM loaded with 180gr TSX. Shot in the neck, dropped and never even twitched. This was a 23 year old, 9.5' bear, close to a thousand pounder. My buddy Phil shot this beast bear baiting the Kenai peninsula two years ago.

33e1350647578e84ec4f48d1327dc428.jpg

c6c61d882ebc9ecbdc86cc22adc8ee18.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back