Grizzly Bear with .30-06

DrMike said:
Cheyenne,

Shame on you for misleading these good people! Everyone knows that bullets frtom an '06 will bounce off a moose. :grin: And grizzlies are tougher than moose! :mrgreen:

LOL, good one Dr Mike

Guy, thank you for your post sir

DR Mike, Gerry, thebear78

as deadly as my old 06 was. All I have to do now is make sure a grizzly sees I am hunting with the 71, 348 and they die from a heart attack, I dont even need to shoot LOL

I recommend everyone hunt with the gun they are most comfortable hunting with, I just felt Gerry made an excellent point in his post and from personal experience I agreed with him

TB 78 that is a really nice bear, your buddy did well.

Cheyenne, thanks for posting. You live out there more than most of us and have lots of experience. The 348 Win gives you extra points for style ;) :lol:

26NosFan":324n9tzd said:
..... I for one would not feel comfortable with the old aught six though, not on toothy critters that can hunt back and eat you. Elmer Keith famously said "Bring enough gun". I would have to bring the biggest I could shoot well for grizz.

I remember Robert Ruark saying "Use enough gun" - And I agree!
But in the case of hunting griz, I personally would not feel under gunned with my 30-06 with the proper bullets on the assumption that I could get in a well placed 1st shot before griz knew I was there.

That said - If I were hunting Griz, I'd pick my 9,3x62 Mauser:
Vz-24_9_3x62_120408.jpg

BUT - If Griz was hunting me, I'd pick my 458:
458Win_050412_1.jpg

It is important to make the distinction between hunting, unaware shot on resting game, and backup/tracking where a jacked up wounded or aware animal is the intended prey.

They don't make a big enough gun to feel comfortable crawling into brush after a center punched brown bear. Been there, nervous doesn't begin to cover it. It's the reason I had yet 458 Lott built.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, there is a difference between unsuspecting game and an enraged critter that wants to eat or stomp you.

Cheyenne, living where you do I have no doubt you think the 30-06 is enough gun. If you don't get presented with a good shot you can simply go out again tomorrow. Most of us aren't that blessed. Now I'm not trying to be argumentative but would you use your 30-06 to go after a wounded griz? I've never hunted grizzlies, nor even seen one outside of a life size mount of one in someone's trophy room, and the reaction I had was akin to thinking my .338 Win Mag left something to be desired. I had that same feeling once on a human. Luckily I was able to drop the peashooter and come up with a 12 Gauge.

I have no doubt that a 30-06, with today's bullets, will work well for hunting. I just question it's use if one has to go crawl in after one and it's already in a foul mood from being wounded.

On another note, I took my dog deer hunting and he did great! I was waffling on taking him but when you said you'd take your dog my mind was made up. Thank you.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Phil shoemaker regularly uses the 30/06 as backup and has about as much experience as anyone when it comes to wounded bears. Don't underestimate a 200gr Partition and a cool head!

He will also admit that his 458 win seems to put them down harder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thebear_78":smp4dktz said:
They don't make a big enough gun to feel comfortable crawling into brush after a center punched brown bear. Been there, nervous doesn't begin to cover it.

True enough- I've done it a few times. Very uncomfortable even carrying a cannon. Peril is the spice of life, but that's too spicy for my taste if I can help it.

I also have a few authors whose books and articles I enjoy reading, but their catchy little sayings do not always reflect life in the real world. Cheyenne is a small framed female. So the saying, "take enough gun" in her mind, based upon what she is capable of shooting well is less than most others here on the forum.
Her 348 is possibly equivalent to some of the large framed men on the forum shooting a 458 Lott, so in her mind, going from a 30-06 to a 348 possibly was a big step.

I can not and am not speaking for her, but it was something I thought of when reading this thread.

Without a doubt there is a difference between shooting an unsuspecting grizzly and finishing off a wounded one. I also know of several fishing guides who use a 458 lott or equivalent to protect their fishing guests in Alaska.

Just to be clear, I was in no way attempting to disparage Cheyenne.

If she thinks the 30-06 is enough gun then, for her, it's enough gun. It's likely enough gun for a lot of us.

There is a limit to what the human body will tolerate in recoil and accuracy trumps power any day of the week.

Vince

I can assure you that going into an alder thicket for a bear ensures that every sense is on full alert. Whatever one is carrying, it doesn't feel like enough. I've only had to go into the bush for a couple of bears that I had shot, but I have gone in on multiple occasions for bears that others have shot. It is a thrill, and the older I get the less I enjoy being thrilled.

DrMike":2nmei4wl said:
I can assure you that going into an alder thicket for a bear ensures that every sense is on full alert. Whatever one is carrying, it doesn't feel like enough. I've only had to go into the bush for a couple of bears that I had shot, but I have gone in on multiple occasions for bears that others have shot. It is a thrill, and the older I get the less I enjoy being thrilled.

Amen, Dr mike Amen!

Vince, no refection on you or anyone else, just my own take on the thread and I was not speaking for Cheyenne either.

Europe":rrdb78l5 said:
DrMike":rrdb78l5 said:

Amen, Dr mike Amen!

Vince, no refection on you or anyone else, just my own take on the thread and I was not speaking for Cheyenne either.
No worries mate. :)

And ladies and gentlemen, even when we disagree on the finer points, we can still be civil. That's what makes this such a high-class forum versus others I have seen.

Not once did anyone take any personal shots at each other.

I like and respect that highly.

Thanks -

Dale

Always of interest to me how excited people get on the subject of big bears. They are something to behold.

Ya, bear discussions on the internet get a lot of response - especially about the big ones... :)

The most fun I've ever had while guiding in Alaska is taking someone through their first close encounter with mr. Grizz. Had a woman last summer give me a big hug following a relatively routine encounter. Pointing to her husband she says " we've had great sex for thirty years, but nothing we've ever done compared to that."at a loss for words I simply said just wait, that was a small one.
You never know how people will respond but the constant is a significant emotional event. I'm always glad when the Bears are gone and I can relax a little

salmonchaser":1u1yfmfh said:
You never know how people will respond but the constant is a significant emotional event. I'm always glad when the Bears are gone and I can relax a little

Haha.... that big griz that sniffed my head through my tent last year was a "significant emotional event", so significant that I almost pooped myself. I would have except for the max pucker factor.

Been there, nothing like a nylon fortress to keep a bear at bay. Mine was a black bear.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,379
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,379
We had a sow grizzly and 2 cubs come into our camp at around midnight one time, definitely not fun. The "nylon fortress" doesn't feel good at all :lol: Going back to sleep after all her bluff charges wasn't easy either ;)

gerry":3ll1cgfc said:
We had a sow grizzly and 2 cubs come into our camp at around midnight one time, definitely not fun. The "nylon fortress" doesn't feel good at all :lol: Going back to sleep after all her bluff charges wasn't easy either ;)

LOL---been there Gerry and you are correct for sure. On balance we have had more "oh S___" moments with the white bear, but it has happened also with the Grizzly. The most aggressive seems to be the Grolar and we wonder if it is because he has an identity crises thing going on LOL We have been told to study them but dont shoot them---easy for some guy behind a desk in a ten story building to say

Back