New 300 Win Mag is coming

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
My new custom built .300 Win Mag is done and about to be shipped, 26 inch Bartlien, Rem 700 action, 1-10 twist and I never shot a 300 before and I like some info on what you .300 shooters prefer in bullets and powders for some deer / hog hunting up to heavy game / 800 lbs. I have some H1000, RL 19, 22, 25 , IMR 7828, Retumbo and H4831. I like the Nosler Ballistic Tips, Bergers, and Sierra Gamekings. Just not sure where to start. Please guide me in the right direction. Thanks

With the reamer I have, it allows seating pretty far out, my buddy shoots 215 Bergers with 77grs of H-1000 at 2960fps in a 26" barrel. COAL is about 3.76 if I remember right. I shot 74grs of R-26 in his gun too and it shoots about the same groups but ran into pressure before I got to the 2960fps of the H-1000 load. I have a 300wsm that I shoot the same 215 Bergers in at the same speed that killed 2 bull elk and a antelope this year from 60yds to 320yds.

My 300 winnie is just a factory Ruger M77 with a really tight magazine box. So I'm pretty much limited to 3.34" OAL. But I really like the 200 grain Partitions, they are surprisingly accurate for moderate ranges.

I think your powder selection is great. H4831 is pretty accurate with the 200 grain bullets. RL22 has also done well for me.

Since you have a custom build though, I'd probably look at the Berger 210 VLD Hunting. I think the 215 is a target bullet??? Not totally sure.

Don't overlook the 200 grain AB. It has a standard tangent ogive, and may be much easier to load then the Berger VLD (with the secant ogive... thats still kicking my butt on my 280 Ack ) :mrgreen:

good luck!

The new build used to be a 7mm STW and it has the 3.6 to 3.7 or so COAL and I am pretty sure I can seat the Bergers long without a problem in the magazine for the .300 Win Mag. The 300 Mag is a tad shorter than the 7 STW. I made sure with the gunsmith that I want the Berger VLD's to fit the magazine and kiss the lands as well. He said its all good to go. (y)

A standard mag box is 3.68". A Wyatt is about 3.8".

The 215's are a hybrid target but they have been proven on game for numerous years now. I shot 2 elk and a antelope with them and my hunting buddy shot his elk with them. The 210's are good bullets too and are shorter overall with the same throat length but tend to run about 50fps slower due to the longer bearing surface. If your running a stock mag box the 210's would probably be better unless it's a SAMMI reamer and then you should be able to run the 215's.

215 Bergers get my vote. Load it with H1000 at 2,900-3,000fps. Used them on elk and antelope this far, from 60-1,034 yards, awesome performance on game, can't beat the accuracy and precision either.

TackDriver284":2ulwbjt7 said:
I like the Nosler Ballistic Tips, Bergers, and Sierra Gamekings. Just not sure where to start. Please guide me in the right direction. Thanks

With the velocity a good .300 mag can churn up, consider trying some tougher bullets like the AccuBond, and I'd recommend bullets of 180 grains or more. I hunted a bit with the 180 gr Nosler Partitions years ago with good results. The rifle really seemed to come alive and shoot best when I started using 200 gr bullets though... The 200 gr Sierra Gamekings were very accurate, but I never shot any game with them, and my .300 Win mag is long gone now.

A buddy asked that I handload some 165 gr Ballistic Tips for him, long ago, for mule deer hunting. He got a couple of mule deer, one went down FAST at about 400 yards. The other was a much closer shot and the older style B-Tip pretty much blew a leg right off that poor deer... Ya, we decided to stick with heavier, slower, stronger bullets for our .300's at that point.

Years later, I provided ammo for a friend going on an African plains game hunt. He took 180 gr ammo with both the Nosler Partition and the Ballistic Tip. The B-Tip had been much improved by that point. He and his PH were both very favorably impressed with the quick kills from the .... drum roll please ... 180 gr BALLISTIC TIP bullets! On a wide variety of African plains game. He actually put away the Partitions and hunted exclusively with the Ballistic Tips for the rest of his very busy safari. We were both surprised.

Read a good article in American Rifleman some years ago about the .300 Win mag, I wish I could quote the sentence perfectly but it had something to do with praising the .300 for it's ability to handle long range shots and also do close in "thug" work when necessary.

It's one heck of a cartridge.

Guy

In 1970 my first loading with my 300 Mag was 70 gr of H-4350 with a 180 SBT, the rifle shot groups in 1/4 MOA range. I found hunting accuracy with 72 grains of H-4350 with a 180 grain NPT. I have killed elk out past 500 yards and as close as 30 yards with this combination. I have never found a need to change. The 300 WM is one of the top 5 rated cartridges for elk, for a reason.

I really like the 210 ABLR. I've been able to get 3000 FPS with RL23. I currently have a factory Remington barrel and it's shooting into .3" groups. I have a #7 contour Lilja ordered to replace it.

I've killed a lot of game with the 300 Winmag. started off with the older 180BT, it was indeed too soft. I then went to the older Barnes 180XBT. Used that 180 XBT from Springbuck, Impala, wart hog on the light end to zebra, kudu, blue wildebeast and the big Namibian Gemsbuck. Pure perfection! :) I used both h4831 and later R22. I did use the Sierra 150 pro Hunter on Hill Country deer, hoping they would act like bombs. Imagine my surprise when they acted like Partitions! That was a long time ago. My SIL uses the Nosler 200AB in his 300 RUM.

Back