New guy with questions for 280AI

muzz

Handloader
Nov 11, 2014
Glad to be part of this forum, I am new here and have read over a lot of topics and like the knowledge that's on here.

I recently built a Remington 280AI and am looking for a powder bullet combo that is temp stable, fast and flat shooting. I hunt Elk and Mulies with it.

The rifle was a 280 before I put a new barrel on it and went with the improved cal. I used to shoot RL19 and 140gr accubonds and killed elk and deer with no problems.

RL19 sucked for temp stability but hell was it fast! Looking to stay with the accubonds in either 140,160 or if I can find some long range 150's I would love to try them.

I would like to stay in the 3000fps or fASTER range. My barrel is a schilen ss select match 24.5" long.

Where I hunt Elk is all close shots. 150 yards or closer, Mulies are all over the distance chart. Would a heavier bullet be better to shoot at longer ranges or stay with the faster lighter 140's?

Thanks and hope to make some good friends on here.

Something to consider is the downrange velocity and energy.
Many rounds stay off blazing fast but when you stretch them out you find the slower heavier bullet is trundling along at the same speed way out there and can carry the energy further. That might have something to do with why some like the 180 grain pills in the 30-06.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard, Muzz. Trust you find precisely what is exhibited--good, honest, friendly gun cranks who enjoy shooting and hunting. I don't see a problem with continuing your loads built with 140 grain AccuBonds. I am shooting 150 grain ABLR in one of my 280s and 140 grain PT in the other. Either will serve me well for elk, moose and black bear. I've dropped a ton of mule deer and whitetails with 140 grain Sierras and Hornadys. A 140 grain AccuBond will do all that and more.

Thanks guys! I am excited to talk to people that don't have smartass comment and talk to you like your an idiot. If I ask its because I don't know. Notto be talked to like im an idiot.

Other site I go to just frustrate me with this kind of crap. What I see on here is mature people. That I thank you for.

I have no problem shooting the 140's. They have killed bull elk with no problem at all for me. Muleys just fall over. Comical to a point.

I could write 2-3 pages worth of stuff that I think I know...having done a bit of research on the 280 Ackley...but it would all be pure speculation at this point.

That said, I believe 140's sell the Ackley short...do they work, yes! Do they kill deer dead? yes! I could go on...but you get the idea, they will do just fine.

I think the Ackley is at its best with 150-160 grain bullets...168's are also well within reason.... but 175-180 grain bullets are just too big for the Ackleys case capacity....you reach the point of diminished returns.

I've been trying to pencil out swapping my Rem 700 270 win barrel to a 280 AI. Im at about 1500 rounds through it so far… I'll get a little more use out of it first. :mrgreen:

But I think the 160 grn AB would be just about perfect in terms of BC. The 150 ABLR would be awesome, but they are quite a bit more expensive.

I use H4831sc with 140 grn AB in my 270. It seems very stable to me, but you might not be getting the best in terms of velocity. RL22 and IMR7828 seem to be the most liked for the 208AI, but I'm not sure about temperate stability.

Welcome Muzz.
JD338 has done some pretty cool stuff with the 280AI. I'm sure he'll pop in with some good ideas for you.
RR has really been researching this pretty deeply. He has some terrific insights.
I just mess around with it. Here's a post of my 26" McGowen barreled with 160s around 2950. Used RL22 for that.
http://forum.nosler.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29101
I built a light one w a 23 1/2" barrel (deal I couldn't pass). Here's the 150 PT from it with MRP.
http://forum.nosler.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=28164
You'll like the group here. Some pretty great folks.
Lot of 280s and AIs too

Huh- Muzz have you come to the right place. The 280 AI is not my thing but there quite a few folks around here who like it. Welcome! CL

I was able to safely reach to the 3,000 mark w/ the various 150's. The two loads I use for my 280 AI are a 150 NBT w/ IMR-4831 and the 175 NPT w/IMR-7828. I preformed a test with both loads and during colder then normal temps (18 degrees and sunny. Ammo was brought to temp for two hours prior) and at 70-75 degrees, the ES/SD the 150 BT w/4831 came down, but so did the velocity by an average of 50 fps at 18 degrees. Nothing happened w/ the 175 PT using 7828 avg. 2798 @ 75 2795 @ 18 degrees, which is why I use that load for Elk hunting...... when I am carrying that gun.

It may not be super fast, but with a BC of 519 and a SD through the roof, and being able to hit flies off paper, speed isn't an issue!

Muzz,

First of all welcome!

The 280AI is awesome. 2950-3000 fps is attainable with the 160's. In my rifle with a 28" barrel I run 7828SSC with a 160AB at 3160. Love it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    478.1 KB · Views: 892
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 892
longrangehunter":3jw050pt said:
I was able to safely reach to the 3,000 mark w/ the various 150's. The two loads I use for my 280 AI are a 150 NBT w/ IMR-4831 and the 175 NPT w/IMR-7828. I preformed a test with both loads and during colder then normal temps (18 degrees and sunny. Ammo was brought to temp for two hours prior) and at 70-75 degrees, the ES/SD the 150 BT w/4831 came down, but so did the velocity by an average of 50 fps at 18 degrees. Nothing happened w/ the 175 PT using 7828 avg. 2798 @ 75 2795 @ 18 degrees, which is why I use that load for Elk hunting...... when I am carrying that gun.

It may not be super fast, but with a BC of 519 and a SD through the roof, and being able to hit flies off paper, speed isn't an issue!

Not to be a buzz kill but I suppose I should have stated "w/a 24" barrel" since barrel length has a direct relationship on velocity.

broncrider what is your load recipe? If I cant find 150 LRAB'si will go with the 160AB's

Very impressive group!! Whats your drop chart look like ?

I hope your right. I really think they would be a great combo

Welcome! You'll find a few 280AI lovers here... myself included. Mine is also built on a 700 action. It has a 25 1/2" Shilen barrel on it. I use it primarily for deer/antelope type animals. The only bullet I've tried is a 140gr Nosler AccuBond. If I hunted elk and other big animals with it I would look closely at 160 gr ABs. I should probably try them anyway but the way my rifle shoots the 140s it's hard to try anything else. It shoots WAY under an inch at 3225 fps. I use RL22. From my experience and from everything that I've read, it seems to be THE powder to use in the 280AI. I looked at the 150 gr LRAB but couldn't convince myself that there was enough difference in what I was already doing. A friend tried them in both of his 280 AIs and had a hard time getting them to shoot as good as he wanted. He went back to 140s. I really should try the 160 gr AB. It might shoot just as good and it will out perform the 140s at long range.
Good luck,
BP

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    534.3 KB · Views: 783
I don't own a 280, it's kind of like Scotty not owning an 06. What I know is those dandy 7mm bullets kill like nothing else. In my opinion the 280AI is what the 7mm Remington always should have been. If I were to loose my safe and it's contents I would replace the 375HH and replace all the others with a 280 AI.
Welcome aboard.

Is there a powder that is close to the RL22? I wont use it due to bad things I have heard about it and the temp uUnstability.

I read on here about MRP from norma, is it temp stable and as good as RL22?

I like MRP quite a bit.
I load the 150 PT w MRP also my best 6.5-06 load is with MRP.
Don't know as to temp stability as have not extensively tested it yet but it's now snowing here so maybe I'll have an idea about that tomorrow

Back