Nosler Partition

Pinenut

Beginner
Dec 12, 2004
My family tried useing Nosler Partition Bullits this year. both factory and reloads.The results were poor at best. They seem to come apart on impact. The only member of our group that didn't have that problem shot 150 ballistic tip. the bullit made a clean kill with little bloodshot. With the Partition we lost 1/2 of the deer and about 10lb on a bull elk.
I don't shoot max loads. what's the solution? :cry:

I have never heard of a Partition causing anywhere close to the damage you are talking about. The whole thing with the Partition is that the front tip can come off after mushrooming but the base of the bullet continues to drive thru. Partitions are used on anything from pigs/deer to African and Alaska game without problem. They are the standard for all big game bullets. So I am not sure what the problem was.

Long

Pinenut":2nih6tro said:
what's the solution?
Waiting for broadside lungshots is the solution--staying away from the shoulders. No bullet will hit the shoulders without wasting some meat.

But using heavier weight bullets will also help. If Partitions are causing that much damage it sounds like you're using lighter ones at relatively high velocities. Step up in weight, down in velocity.

Jon A":19hnwwg3 said:
Pinenut":19hnwwg3 said:
what's the solution?
Waiting for broadside lungshots is the solution--staying away from the shoulders. No bullet will hit the shoulders without wasting some meat.

But using heavier weight bullets will also help. If Partitions are causing that much damage it sounds like you're using lighter ones at relatively high velocities. Step up in weight, down in velocity.

I concur!

I've had the same problem you mentioned but as one of the other contributers mentioned, it was a matter of too much power too close. We can't, unfortunately, choose the range we're going to get a shot at in most cases. The Partition is made to expand fairly quickly and easily in front of the Partition so those real long shots will be efective and still have the base left for deep penetration. A 300 Wby. at 75 yards produced a soft ball sized exit wound on a chest shot on a California Black Tail of about 100 lbs. Too much gun but it was my new toy at the time. I'v used partitions extensivley since on many calibers and have had nothing but praise. By the way I went to partitions after using a Hornady 180grain intrlock to shoot a cow elk at about 50 Yds. It killed her, eventually, by cutting the heart with a piece of jacket. I shot her in the shoulder and the bullet exploded. The biggest piece found was in her hip, About 10 grs. A Partition would have penetrated the shoulder with the back part of the bullet and taken out the shoulder and probably some lungs. :(

Back