First 2022 Pheasants

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
At the Cooke Canyon Hunt Club earlier today, we walked in snow up to about knee deep. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Maverick the dog was star of the show. Five good points, five great retrieves! Not bad for a rescue dog. :) He just needed a second chance.

Was great seeing the dog and my son working so well together. My son is using a 50 year old 20 gauge Ithaca double, built by SKB, with #5 steel shot. It worked great. Dog was ready to go find another pheasant as soon as he'd retrieved one. Love it!
CKJLT33l.jpg

Dog, completing a retrieve. Sometimes he was sinking belly deep in the snow!
wGFpnT1l.jpg

Some older fellow who still grins about pheasant hunting, 55 years past my first pheasant hunt. Love it! I was using a 12 gauge Browning Citori, with #6 steel shot.
F5s74IAl.jpg

It was a mighty fine day. Yes, these were bought and paid for pheasants, not wild birds. Walking was fairly tough, shooting was pretty easy. :) Dog worked the hardest, as usual.

Regards, Guy

What excellent pictures! That was undoubtedly a great day for you and for your son. Maverick has turned out to be quite the worker!

At the Cooke Canyon Hunt Club earlier today, we walked in snow up to about knee deep. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Maverick the dog was star of the show. Five good points, five great retrieves! Not bad for a rescue dog. :) He just needed a second chance.

Was great seeing the dog and my son working so well together. My son is using a 50 year old 20 gauge Ithaca double, built by SKB, with #5 steel shot. It worked great. Dog was ready to go find another pheasant as soon as he'd retrieved one. Love it!
CKJLT33l.jpg

Dog, completing a retrieve. Sometimes he was sinking belly deep in the snow!
wGFpnT1l.jpg

Some older fellow who still grins about pheasant hunting, 55 years past my first pheasant hunt. Love it! I was using a 12 gauge Browning Citori, with #6 steel shot.
F5s74IAl.jpg

It was a mighty fine day. Yes, these were bought and paid for pheasants, not wild birds. Walking was fairly tough, shooting was pretty easy. :) Dog worked the hardest, as usual.

Regards, Guy
Guy it's great to see Maverick worked out to be a great dog.

Great day indeed Guy. Nothing better than hunting pheasants over a dog.

JD338

Well- that looks like a great way to spend some time with your son! Good for both of you!
PS- them birds dont know they are paid for. ;) Have fun. CL

Looks and sounds like a good time had by all. Just curious are you required to use steel shot there or your choice? Dan.

Looks and sounds like a good time had by all. Just curious are you required to use steel shot there or your choice? Dan.

It's a requirement. Most of the places, public and private, where I hunt birds, now require steel shot. I do have to admit that the steel shot loads I'm buying today seem to work real well. I certainly was not a fan of steel shot years ago when it first appeared.

Regards, Guy

Back