.220 Swift

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
Just finished building my first Swift! Its an older Ruger M77 tang safety. The previous owner had a Canjar single set trigger installed sometime after he bought it. Just had a new Douglas 1-12” barrel installed. Had it crowned at 24” instead of the original factory 26” but kept the same contour. Refinished the stock myself and just need to go break in the barrel! I have some good Norma brass and a couple of boxes of Hornady factory ammo. Next weekend is the plan. Will post any exceptional targets!19EEA7B0-86D5-4337-8EB8-C91818142A63.jpeg

Looks good! You done a real nice job on the refinish. Good looking rifle. Hope it shoots for you. Seems like it would be a sweet setup with the extras you mentioned. That should make a favorite rifle for you if it shoots well.

Looks good! You done a real nice job on the refinish. Good looking rifle. Hope it shoots for you. Seems like it would be a sweet setup with the extras you mentioned. That should make a favorite rifle for you if it shoots well.
Thanks Shade Tree! I’ve been refinishing gunstocks as a side hobby for some time now. I’ve got a system, it works. Can’t wait to shoot it!

Thats a good looking rifle! Its nice to see some body trot out one of the old "classic" calibers and actually figure to use it. Again, thats just cool. Keep us up to date on your progress! CL

Dale, with the 220 Swift, do you have to be careful how you stack the cartridges in the magazine?

Guess I'm asking if the rim is any problem.

Thanks, Guy
So it looks like Ruger’s magazine follower is such that the cartridges are at a slight rearward decline when the magazine is loaded to help keep from creating a jam with the semi-rimmed cases. I haven’t had any issues thusfar but I have heard that due attention should be given in the case of the Swift. I still haven’t even made it to the range to do break in and sight in yet!

Got to do break in today but blustering March winds kept me from getting any groups worth writing home about. Still very fun!

Attachments

• 2D631568-AE07-430F-A84A-E7D6F18B71EF.jpeg
    2D631568-AE07-430F-A84A-E7D6F18B71EF.jpeg
    790 KB · Views: 10
  • C56216F4-1DE9-4245-984C-F147EE9EE470.jpeg
    C56216F4-1DE9-4245-984C-F147EE9EE470.jpeg
    786.6 KB · Views: 10
Appreciate the compliments 6Rem, and although for a straight up hunting scope, I love that Leupold VX3 or 3i 3.5-10x40mm it seems to be a bit on the small side for this Swift. I've been looking and looking for something Leupold with a bit higher magnification but cannot seem to find anything in my price range. I ordered a Vortex 6-18x44mm scope from a dealer friend this week, it should be here by Friday. That Leupold is going to get moved to a different rifle or put up for sale if nothing else.

Back