.338 Bullets Jacket Thickness Comparison

6.5_sWv

Beginner
Mar 5, 2019
I recently had a JES rebore project that came back as a 338-06. Picked up a good supply of various .338 bullets. Got bored one night and decided to use my hacksaw to section some bullets. I realize these are very rough and jagged cuts, but even through the saw marks you can see the jacket thicknesses for each bullet make. I thought it would be worth posting on here to share thinking someone might be interested to see my findings.

JVSYaE.jpg

nice job on the bullet sectioning . thanks for posting .

a few years back I saw a 338 win mag shooting the 225 SST flatten an elk . that bullet is a tough one . I admit when I thought elk , and SST , I was skeptical .

I had read an article someplace that the 215 gr SGK had too thick a jacket to perform well in a 338-06. Looking at these cross-sections that doesn't seem to be the case. When components get more readily available I may have to test all of these in my 338-06 Ackley. What do the manufacturers suggest as to what the velocity/expansion range is for each?

I had read an article someplace that the 215 gr SGK had too thick a jacket to perform well in a 338-06. Looking at these cross-sections that doesn't seem to be the case. When components get more readily available I may have to test all of these in my 338-06 Ackley. What do the manufacturers suggest as to what the velocity/expansion range is for each?
grry,
I too had read the same comments about the 215 SGK, and even in the Sierra Manual in the bullet description sections they say it needs to be pushed at top velocities, yet they also list data for the same bullet out of the 338 Fed, yet no mention about necessary velocity for that cartridge / bullet combo. Im going to try to jug test a few of these bullets this summer providing I find a load for each one. Ill report by my findings.

In regards to what velocity is necessary for each one, I truthfully do not have any idea, nor is it listed on their respective boxes.

The SST is a pleasant surprise. I know it works well, but seeing the evidence is most pleasant. Thank you for posting this.

Back