Clothing For Alaska

Vince2

Handloader
Jan 21, 2022
Since many of you have been to Alaska and the Yukon I’m looking for advice on clothing and gear that I should buy here in the lower 48 before I move.

Thinking I’ll move to Anchorage first and then see where I want to live after a couple years of learning the state.

Any help with gear and clothing would be greatly appreciated. I’m coming from a desert environment so I’m not real familiar with what’s needed up there.

Vince

Layers, insulated jeans, carharts, good rain gear. Going to Anchorage is a good idea. Cold enough to keep you honest until you figure it out.
Good luck.

Kids in Barrow usually wear shorts and hoodies. Guess it depends on what is cold/not cold to you.

Wh
Layers, insulated jeans, carharts, good rain gear. Going to Anchorage is a good idea. Cold enough to keep you honest until you figure it out.
Good luck.
do you recommend for rain gear, waders, rubber boots?

Vince

" Acclimation is key."
I think there is something to that. When I lived in northern Nevada even in winter I was going to work in T-shirts and jeans. One winter, we'd just gotten about 6" of snow on the ground, and a really low cloud cover. Went to work on a midnight shift in my usual T-shirt and jeans. When I got to work the the temp was 32 degrees, no wind and comfortable. At 0100, when it came time to take the first weather observation the temp had dropped to 18 below zero. Went out side to double check with a mercurial thermometer and damn, it was sitting at 18 below and I could see the mercury slowly dropping. Long story short, the cloud cover had moved out allowing the captive heat to fly away out into space. Official low temp was 36 below zero and there were parts along the river bottom that were 40 below or better. Official high temps never went above ten below for over a week. The good news was the winds were light and variable during that hard freeze.
About two years later I get transferred to Tucson AZ and took about three years before I had to wear a light jacket on one of the cooler late night shifts during the winter.
Paul B.

There's an interesting side bar in the latest Sports Afield magazine regarding clothing and gear worn on a Kodiak Island brown bear hunt, that may give you some additional info, from a hunter who has been there on more than one trip with his son, who is a registered guide in Alaska. Won't spoil the good read anymore than that for you!

" Acclimation is key."
I think there is something to that. When I lived in northern Nevada even in winter I was going to work in T-shirts and jeans. One winter, we'd just gotten about 6" of snow on the ground, and a really low cloud cover. Went to work on a midnight shift in my usual T-shirt and jeans. When I got to work the the temp was 32 degrees, no wind and comfortable. At 0100, when it came time to take the first weather observation the temp had dropped to 18 below zero. Went out side to double check with a mercurial thermometer and damn, it was sitting at 18 below and I could see the mercury slowly dropping. Long story short, the cloud cover had moved out allowing the captive heat to fly away out into space. Official low temp was 36 below zero and there were parts along the river bottom that were 40 below or better. Official high temps never went above ten below for over a week. The good news was the winds were light and variable during that hard freeze.
About two years later I get transferred to Tucson AZ and took about three years before I had to wear a light jacket on one of the cooler late night shifts during the winter.
Paul B.
Interesting comment. When I lived up North and hunted Maine every year I dressed light most of the time unless sitting for an extended period of time. One layer of winter clothing with light gloves and maybe a sweater under a jacket was more than adequate. Then after retirement I moved to Florida. The most I ever wore down there was a teashirt, shorts and flip flops. After about three years I got used to the temperatures but found upon returning to Maine for deer season I had to dress like I was in the Antarctic and looked like the Michelin tire man. I got laughed at by my Maine friends but Acclimation will get you every time.

Vince, it was -8C today when I made a visit to the dentist and then stopped at the television station to deliver a video for play this coming Sunday. Well, I cheated a little. I wore a tee and a short-sleeved shirt with khakis. I dressed somewhat more warmly a couple of days ago when it was -39C. I had to wear a heavy coat, and the truck was plugged in all night.

I wear a flannel shirt in the house, and my wife keeps the thermostat set at 72deg. You sure can't go by me. LOL

Seriously - the best cold weather garment I ever bought was FLEECE LINED jeans from Cabelas. Not flannel lined but fleece lined. You can't wear them indoors!

LL Bean - Fleece Jeans

It really depends on where in the state. Anchorage is pretty temperate compared to the Interior. It's pretty wet, so good synthetic insulation and waterproof layers are essential. Merino wool, Gore-tex and Polar-Tac coats.

Once you go into the Interior- it's dryer, down coats and pants.

Acclimatization and layers are key. I think I had a different jacket or coat for every month after a few years.

Back