Mauser 98 Sporter 7x57mm

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
Near as I can tell this rifle was made by J.G. Anschutz in the late 30’s or early 40’s in Zella-Mehlis as it still bears the Nazi proof mark. It was given to me by a close friend/mentor.

I am going to have my smith install a scope friendly safety in the near future.

I mounted the Leupold M7-b 4x on top and sighted her in with a partial box of Frontier factory ammo I had laying around. While fixing fence this week, I got a crack at this coyote. The coyote was moving straight away at a quick walk somewhere around 250-275 yards. One and done!

Such a pleasure to shoot, I cannot wait to try it out on something bigger!

Bought some 139 grain Hornady SST 2nds from Midway, I also have some 145 grain Speer Grandslams and some Sierras of various weights in .284 caliber.

Hoping I draw a mule deer tag this fall! If so the 7mm is coming along!

Attachments

• IMG_5791.jpeg
    IMG_5791.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 33
I really enjoy my 7x57. I took it to Montana last year and it got to see a lot of small bucks. I drew Montana again and I hope it sees a big one. If I draw Oregon this year (mule deer) I’ll use the 257. Your’s is such a great classic. Well done on the song dog.

Here are some additional photos. I forgot to mention the Timney trigger, express folding leaf sights and barrel mounted front sling swivel. Such a cool rifle!

Attachments

• IMG_5793.jpeg
    IMG_5793.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5786.jpeg
    IMG_5786.jpeg
    577.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5787.jpeg
    IMG_5787.jpeg
    479.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5788.jpeg
    IMG_5788.jpeg
    386.3 KB · Views: 20
I really enjoy my 7x57. I took it to Montana last year and it got to see a lot of small bucks. I drew Montana again and I hope it sees a big one. If I draw Oregon this year (mule deer) I’ll use the 257. Your’s is such a great classic. Well done on the song dog.
Since I’m going to be guiding a lot more this year, I probably won’t have many days to hunt for myself. Likely any “deer with visible antler” that gives me a decent shot will be fired upon.

The unit we applied for is an easier draw but with point creep etc. I’m going to keep my fingers crossed.

Very nice rifle. Looks a lot like the custom 7x57 I built. As your rifle is based on the M98 Mauser, you should be able to use much warmer loads in that rifle rather that the anemic ones put out by the factories. I've been running mine with 7-08 data; starting with the start loads and carefully working up. The 7x57 case has a larger powder capacity and brass life, Remington and Winchester have been good. Accuracy has been great with those loads as well. I've been working with RL17 for the most part. I'd planned on a cow elk hunt at the end of the year but the outfitter who did my hunts and the ranch owner apparently are now on the outs for some reason. Unfortunately I have to do a hunt catered to the handicapped as I can no longer walk without a walker. I really would like to get in one more hunt before I cash in. I just realized I'm less than 3 months from 85. YIKES!
Paul B.

Very nice rifle. Looks a lot like the custom 7x57 I built. As your rifle is based on the M98 Mauser, you should be able to use much warmer loads in that rifle rather that the anemic ones put out by the factories. I've been running mine with 7-08 data; starting with the start loads and carefully working up. The 7x57 case has a larger powder capacity and brass life, Remington and Winchester have been good. Accuracy has been great with those loads as well. I've been working with RL17 for the most part. I'd planned on a cow elk hunt at the end of the year but the outfitter who did my hunts and the ranch owner apparently are now on the outs for some reason. Unfortunately I have to do a hunt catered to the handicapped as I can no longer walk without a walker. I really would like to get in one more hunt before I cash in. I just realized I'm less than 3 months from 85. YIKES!
Paul B.
I was thinking to load those 139-145 grain bullets to 2650-2700 fps. I know more is possible but thats plenty good enough for my needs. I love how lightweight and trim this gun is even with the full length 24” barrel.

One of the cartridges that started what we have now.
And still does the job.

Are others better?
Depends on your definition.
We could debate such a topic until the end of time, but, were I to narrow it down to say 25 cartridges for anything/everything, the 7x57 definitely makes the list! Might be an interesting thread!

Back