I am relatively new to hunting with coppers and I have modified where I shoot the deer. Traditionally, I am a behind the shoulder shooter with cup and core projectiles. That shot placement seem to be less dramatic with less blood trail to follow with the coppers which seems logical considering...
I generally like living in the 165-170 gn realm for 308s but the 130 coppers seem too good at those velocities. Especially on whitetails. I shot a doe last year at 211 yards from a ground blind and she was DRT. She was facing me and I hit her in the brisket and the bullet travelled almost her...
This is my load for my Bergara Carbon Wilderness in 308 Win:
Please note that the 2.12 length should be listed as BTO NOT COAL. I incorrectly labeled that on my box below. These are warm but I am not getting any ejector swipes or heavy bolt lift. I also could not make it to 51 before pressure...
Ah, very interesting. I assumed incorrectly that since 308 and 30-06 are so similar that the powder would directly correspond but I guess the powder burn needs to be slowed down a little since there’s more powder to burn…I am impressed by the 308’s performance with that load but that may not be...
The published max Barnes TAC loads for 308 Win (51.2gns) and .30-06 (53gns) with the 130gn TTSX produce 3246 and 3165 FPS respectively. Both of the test barrels are listed as 24". I am curious as to why the '06 is almost 100 fps slower with 1.8gns more powder? Is the velocity difference due to...
That’s a great idea. I have never thought about zeroing at the furthest distance and then reverse engineer the closer ones. I have an older VX 4.5x14 on my 257 WSM and I may need to explore that option. I stuck between using the large or small triangle on the magnification selector lever.
This is a fun topic.
My response is probably more about how my brain processes information and less about the pros/cons of the various systems. I prefer 1st focal plane with sub-tensions in MOA for target shooting. I know MILs should make more sense, but my brain thinks in feet and inches...
I do this too.
I have a Tikka and a Bergara Carbon Wilderness with VX6HDs with the custom CDS dials. I will validate the turrets at different ranges on paper but then use in the field even when not completely necessary. I have the turrets made to be zeroed at 100 so I will dial some input at...