03 Springfield and 150 Nosler Partitions.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
This load came together pretty quickly for me. It's a 1/2 gr over max according to Hodgdon data and 1/2 gr under max according to Nosler data but I'm loaded .065 shorter than Nosler book and it's a lightly compressed load so I'm probably at max any way you look at it, but no pressure signs. Didn't chrono it yet but should be around 2975.

I growled myself on the second shot because I felt like I anticipated and tensed up forcing the trigger off at the end. Sure enough the last shot squeezing the trigger not forcing anything until it surprised me, put it right in with the first shot. Even with the flier it came in at 3/4". Gotta confirm things with a couple more groups but I believe this load will hunt. With only 50 per box with Nosler, you can't try too many things just for the heck of it.

Wow, that's an excellent load ST! Ain't too much you can't do with that combo either! Great shooting!

This gun isn't generally as easy to make shoot as my model 70, nor is it as forgiving if you stray from sound shooting practices, but I've got a couple loads now with different bullets that will shoot under an inch. Not bad really for a 75 yr old military action and barrel with a rough chamber that can be hard on brass.

I done a decent amount of work to this gun this summer. Pretty much the main gun I messed with. Hand sanded some spots in the inletting that I felt needed some extra attention. Bedded the bottom metal in 3 different stages until I got it where it suited me. Bedded the recoil lug area and tang on the action.

Doing a lot of testing off the bench in a T-shirt with an 06 can give you a yellow shoulder. Not fun or conducive to good shooting once you're sore. I put a cheater pad on it. Limbsaver slip on pad. Sucker works I can tell you that.

I think it looks great ST! I did those old 03's and it might have a weird chamber, but you know how to make it sing and there isn't much better than to see our old warhorses still putting up great targets.

Thanks Scotty, I'll pull that pad off for hunting season, but I need to get a new recoil pad as the old one is hard and brittle. I seen Pachmayr makes one that looks like the older classic that was on this one.

That should hunt. There are two standard loads that I have found over the past 40+ years for the old 30-06 with 150 gr bullets. 59 grs IMR 4350 or 51.2 4064 with most any cup and core bullet. These usually shoot sub MOA and depending on barrel length 22-26" usually run between 2900 and 3000 fps. 150 Ballistic Tip or Sierra Game Kings make a really great long range deer killer.

Thanks for the proven loads 1 Shot, I'll jot them down. I can't get there with my model 70 though. For whatever reason that gun has an unusually short throat, and I have to load with bullets seated deep, reducing case capacity so I run into pressure before I hit top charges. But that gun is a real shooter with multiple bullet weights, so I don't mind so much.

I agree with your assessment of ballistic tips and game kings, and the speer boat tails could be put in that group also in either 150's or 165's. I'm a speer hot cor fan...cheap priced bullets that are accurate and work, but I like to try out different bullets so this yr it's gonna be the 150 partitions for deer.

That rifle looks great and nice shooting. I do like those old sporterized Mausers and Springfields. They make great hunting rifles.

That is a nice looking rifle and the picture of your group shows it will get the job done! Your going to love what those 150 partitions do to deer. Using them in 06 might have to see how they shoot in my .308 bench gun. Good hunting, Dan.

I always had great luck with 59gr IMR4350, standard primers, any case, any 150gr in 30-06. Its what I call an "accuracy load". Obviously, 1/2gr either side works too! Have a ball!

Good work and a good rifle. I have an old Model 30 Remington I want to work on. It was made after WWI on the 1917 Enfield action. Has an old Lyman Alaskan scope on detachable mounts. Actually shoots the same place after removal and reattachment. Just shot it at fifty yards with some Remington 150 Core-Lokts factory loads. Got only 1 1/2 inches but it'll maybe get better but it's neat and good enough for 100 yards.

ethmoid1999":cwgqooub said:
Good work and a good rifle. I have an old Model 30 Remington I want to work on. It was made after WWI on the 1917 Enfield action. Has an old Lyman Alaskan scope on detachable mounts. Actually shoots the same place after removal and reattachment. Just shot it at fifty yards with some Remington 150 Core-Lokts factory loads. Got only 1 1/2 inches but it'll maybe get better but it's neat and good enough for 100 yards.

Man, I would love to see a picture of that old horse! Talk about cool.

Back