11.7mm Danish

Africa Huntress":221jycrb said:
Guy Miner":221jycrb said:
I think the big thing on this is going to be finding the true diameter of the rifle's bore, then selecting a good cast bullet that fits properly.

Guy

EXACTLY !

If I owned that rifle Guy, I would hunt Buffalo with it. I have always wanted to hunt American Buffalo with one of my father's old Sharp's

Best regards

Jamila

I was just reading some Elmer Keith the other day. Around 34 or so he took a buffalo with an old 16lb 50-140-550. Kinda cool stuff.

When I find a buffalo I'll call you to bring the rifle. We can split the meat :lol:

Well cool, but let me get the doggone Great Dane sighted-in first! :mrgreen:

Yup, I have read that, and everything I can find about the 11.7 Danish.

Thanks! (y)

Hi GM.

Congratulations with din Danske Remington riffel(your Danish Remington rifle).

I guess you have already run into the tiny problems with using .45-70 Brass.

Yes the 11,7mm is a heeled hollowbased bullet a la .22Lr princible. The extrator must be milled to take a thicker rim if using the .45Govt brass...unless the rim is lathed a little thinner.
If you can find 8x58R krag brass they can be formed and cut to length also.
In general must of them shoot very accurate. They take about 60grain of blackpowder to a 347grain lead bullet of .462".
Lots of blackpowdershooters convert them into .45-70 because of brass, but the charm I think is also try to go through the small trails to shoot original ammo in them.

Looking foreward to read how it all goes...

Thanks. Ya, I don't want to make it into a .45/70 chamber. Too easy... :)

Hmm... Dad loaded some cast lead bullets in slightly shortened .45/70 cases and the loaded cartridges fit just fine in the old rifle...

Might haul it out to the range this afternoon!

Guy

Back