120 bt or 130 ab in short barrel 260?

caribouhunter

Beginner
Mar 31, 2009
hi!
i want to start reloading for my wife's rem. seven in 260 rem.
so far she's been using 140 corelokt at 2550 fps.
altough the load is accurate (ave. .75" at 100y), terminal performance
was poor in the 3 whitetails she shot with it. they all died but wound channel was very small.
so i'm looking for a lighter (read faster) load expecting better result.
i think that by going with the 130 ab i wont get much more speed
and the AccuBond being tougher than the corelokt i might end up with the same problem. so is the 120 bt the best choice?
there's also the 100 Partition but i like to have exit wound and 100 grainers in my sister in law's 243 almost never go through.
what would you go with?

The difference in velocity between a maximum propellant charge with the 130 grain AB and a 120 grain BT is minimal. For instance, the 6th edition of the Nosler Reloading Guide lists a maximum velocity of 2887 fps with the 130 grain AB and RL19, and 2980 fps with the 120 grain BT with the same powder. Another option is the 125 grain PT, which would be a fine bullet in that rifle. A maximum charge of RL19 with the latter bullet produces 2980 fps. All these velocities were developed in a 24 inch barrel. The reduction in velocity in your wife's rifle should be minimal. I would go with the AB (or the PT) and never look back.

caribouhunter

I would go with the 120 gr BT, very effective on deer. The 100 gr PT should give you an exit on any sane angle.

JD338

I'd also go with the 120gr BT.
BT's are a great deer bullet, and you should be getting close to 3000 fps with it. Velocity is the key to expansion.

Go with the 120 BT. I have shot deer with it in my 6.5X55 Swede at 3000 fps and it hammers them. The 120 Sierra pro hunter also will hammer them. That is what my buddy that is a control hunter on a big farm in NC used in a 260 Rem with a case full of H4350 to kill 50 deer with one year from close up to around 400 yards and he only had one deer take a step after being hit. Most were front shoulder shots. That one deer took three jumps and piled up. It was hit through the back of one lung and the liver because the bullet clipped a cotton stalk about 5 yards in front of the deer and it deflected the bullet a little. The deer was right at 200 yards away. I was with him when he took this shot.

thank you guys the 120 BT it will be then!
although i really doubt i will get 3000fps from it.
the 140 g. factory loads that are listed at 2750 only go 2550 in it.
and from what the primers look like, the loads look about as hot as i would care to go being a beginner in reloading.
so i expect around 2750 fps.

Dr mike, good idea on the 125 Partition. i'll try the BT first as they have a reputation for great accuracy. the Partition will come next.

caribouhunter":12mztk9h said:
thank you guys the 120 BT it will be then!
although i really doubt i will get 3000fps from it.
the 140 g. factory loads that are listed at 2750 only go 2550 in it.
and from what the primers look like, the loads look about as hot as i would care to go being a beginner in reloading.
so i expect around 2750 fps.

Dr mike, good idea on the 125 Partition. i'll try the BT first as they have a reputation for great accuracy. the Partition will come next.

I too only got 2600 fps from some early 140 gr Remington factory loads out of my 24" barreled M700. Speer Nitrex loads with the 140 gr Grand Slam went right about 2700 however. I drive the same weight Hornadies and Nosler HP close to 2700 fps from both the M700 and a Kimber M84 with 22" barrel useing R22 or H4831. If you reload, the Rem factory stuff isn`t a good repesentation of what the cartridge will do IMO.

BTW I`ve had very good luck on whitetail with the 129 gr Hornady SP in the 260 and 6.5x55. I presently have been loading 120 gr BTs in the 260 for hunting as my Kimber loves them and I tust the others on the board with their recommenation of them. R19 is my powder of choice with these wgts and likely the best over all powder for the cartridge I`ve tried.

I know you said you have decided on the 120BT, but I think the 130AB would be a better choice if you want a bullet that has more than just a whitetail application. They will be just as accurate as the BT and you will get better penetration in ALL situations than with the BT. I shoot the 130AB in my .260 and have had incredible accuracy with R19 at over 2900 FPS (this is with a 24 inch barrel). The next best choice IMO is the 125 Partition that Dr. Mike suggested.

the AB jacket being thicker than the corelokt i'm afraid i'll experience the same problem (underexpension.) is that a word? LOL!!!!
thanks for your input guys.

If Whitetails are all that is on the menu, then the 120gr B-tip is the bullet of choice. My wife also shoots a model 7 .260 She has take several elk with the 120gr b-tip with great performance. ( pre-AccuBond days as the 130gr AccuBond is now in place )
The 6.5's penetration is phenominal. Here is the 130gr A-bond recovered out of some milk jugs shot @ 100yds. Second pic is of the 100gr B-tip.
Both however fired out of a different .260 with a 25in tube and max charges of powder.

130gr65ABond.jpg

348GrRemaining.jpg

Back