120 gr BTip / 140 gr BTip / 140 gr Win Powerpoint

ReloadKy

Handloader
May 13, 2020
IMG_1488.jpg

So I took my wife out today and tried a good ol milk jug test with the 7-08 she wants to use this deer season. Jugs were 35 yards and we tried the 3 bullets listed in the subject line. Some how we able to catch all 3!! Many people have said it but the 120 Btip outperformed the 140 Btip. I guess I had to see it to believe. The Powerpoint did very well but it does not pass the 100 yard accuracy test so it is out of the running for this upcoming deer season. Should I try to push the 120's or be happy with what I have?

Just my opinion, but a 120gr bullet at 2800 fps is more than enough for deer in KY. I've busted several with 95-100gr bullets in my .243, including a nice 9-pt. The 120 will do the job, and will be less recoil for her to handle. I'd call it good if I were you.

How far does she shoot?
Would not change anything out to - well - 250yöiah?
If accuracy is ok, go for it

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

If her 7mm-08 likes it and shoots it good I would just stick with the 120 gr. Ballistic Tip. It will work just fine.

6mm Remington":1axbqvnf said:
If her 7mm-08 likes it and shoots it good I would just stick with the 120 gr. Ballistic Tip. It will work just fine.

Yep, and I'd have 0 reservations pushing them up into the 3000 range myself. 3 jugs way deeper than needed for a whitetail and the jacket is a thick devil on it. That bullet is just a danged good option and it opens quick and penetrates real well.

A bunch of folks have ran them at warp speeds from 7 STW's and 280 Ackleys and on larger than deer with nary a report of bad results.

She would not be shooting any further than 200, probably no farther than 100. Brian I agree the 243 is great little deer killer and that is the rifle she killed her first one with, ironically a nice 9 pt. However, she decided she wanted to try and "step up" from the 243 so I figured the 7-08 was perfect. The load that she shot was 40gr of H4895. According to different manuals I can increase 2-3 grains and probably get around 2975-3000 fps. The load that she shot was the initial work up load for the rifle and it produced a 3 hole cloverleaf the first group I tried with the rifle.

I’d go with the 120 and not look back. The 7-08 i sold is one of my biggest regrets.

We have used the 120 BT at 3000 fps on plenty of deer/antelope. Never recovered one!

I have a little time before deer season so I may try to push the 120 a bit faster and see what groups I get.

Update from a long time ago. I bumped the 120 gr Btip up to 43 gr of H4895 and was able to get great accuracy and speeds of 3045 fps. I am very pleased and cannot wait to see what it will do on a whitetail. I am so anxious I may shoot a doe opening day of rifle just to see how it performs!

ReloadKy":1s7346bd said:
Update from a long time ago. I bumped the 120 gr Btip up to 43 gr of H4895 and was able to get great accuracy and speeds of 3045 fps. I am very pleased and cannot wait to see what it will do on a whitetail. I am so anxious I may shoot a doe opening day of rifle just to see how it performs!

Any update? I’m thinking that would be a good vermin load as well as a deer load. One and done.

Rifle season opens up here in KY in 2 weeks. Hopefully opening weekend will provide us with a shot.

I never really got this opinion on the toughness of 120gr BTs. I've been using them since 2001 out of a 7x57 and later a 7-08. Initially I could catch them if I hit one shoulder of a roe deer!

Fast forward this season. I've been lucky enough to shoot approx 10 spikes and bucks (fallow deer - live weight max 150lbs). At 75yds if you hit one in the skull around the eye it won't exit (broadside deer - whistle, it sticks its head up quartering towards you) likewise it won't exit a big bucks neck.

They are certainly deadly and I love them (all I use now) but are they really tough?

I think the word tough is relative. I have seen them penetrate deeper in jugs and retain more weight by percentage than the 140.

We use the 120 BT in my daughters 7mm08 and it’s done an incredible job. It’s accurate and kills very effectively. We are shooting them 2990 FPS.

Let us know how she does!

I load the 120s in my wife’s 7mm-08 to about 3000 FPS with varget. She has killed 2 small bucks and a doe with it. Shots on both bucks exited on quartering shots, one at 60 yards and one at 175. She hit the doe square on the shoulder at 94 yards and the bullet jacket was caught in the hide on the far side. No sign of the core. We will continue to use them on whitetails with out any hesitation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_2231 (1).jpgUpdate - my son drilled a doe last night with the 120 Ballistic tip in 7-08. The exit hole was massive!! I posted the story in the hunting section with pics. I don't know about the rules of posting same stuff in multiple places but I figure I at least should post pic of exit hole on here since there was a lot of discussion about the 120 gr ballistic tip and its performance.

Looks great to me. That's what puts deer down in a hurry! Congrats to the boy!

You are correct that the exit is exaggerated. However, it did put that doe down with real authority, and that is not a bad thing.

I was extremely happy with the performance. Deer died within seconds which is what we all want when hunting!

Back