130 Grain E-Tip Loads for 270 Winchester

Joe, the 130 grain E-Tip has been my "go to" bullet in my 270 WSM for some time. I'm not launching it at a much greater velocity than you're observing with your 270 Win. It has accounted for moose, elk, whitetail, mule deer and black bear. Put your pill in the boiler of about any game, and sharpen your knife.

Im late to the party on this one, but I thought Id share my limited experience with the Nosler ETip in a 270. If I recall correctly I was loading these with 58.0gr of H4831sc and a Federal 210 L.R. in Winchester brass. Rifle was a Remington 700 with a 22'' tube.

This was from a buck I killed in 2018. I shot him from approximately 105 yards and I hit him through the lower back. The shot was taken on the side of a hill from above him as he was in a creek bottom and it broke his back and put him down. I had to finish him off from about 40 yards. I only recovered 1 bullet but there were no exit holes so Im not sure which shot the bullet I recovered came from, but the performance was the way it was supposed to be. Nearly 100% weight retention.

Couple pics here to illustrate.

YGW2mv.jpg

C6IULI.jpg

6.5_sWv":1f371h0x said:
Im late to the party on this one, but I thought Id share my limited experience with the Nosler ETip in a 270. If I recall correctly I was loading these with 58.0gr of H4831sc and a Federal 210 L.R. in Winchester brass. Rifle was a Remington 700 with a 22'' tube.

This was from a buck I killed in 2018. I shot him from approximately 105 yards and I hit him through the lower back. The shot was taken on the side of a hill from above him as he was in a creek bottom and it broke his back and put him down. I had to finish him off from about 40 yards. I only recovered 1 bullet but there were no exit holes so Im not sure which shot the bullet I recovered came from, but the performance was the way it was supposed to be. Nearly 100% weight retention.

Couple pics here to illustrate.

YGW2mv.jpg

C6IULI.jpg
>>> nice!

Joec7651":zv0wzorj said:
I’m resurrecting this thread. I kept working with the E-Tips for the last year and finally decided on my hunting load. DrMike was kind enough to run the Quickload numbers for me on my final load and I have a load that I think will serve well for whatever comes within range. I’m going with RL26 at 3130 fps from my 24” barreled 270 Win. It doesn’t group the .383” that IMR7828 does but it still holds a consistent half inch at 100 yards. The 7828 load shows higher pressure than the RL26 with 100 fps less velocity so I chose to have less stress on the rifle with more velocity, and go with the RL26 load. I’m giving up less than 1/4” in group size so it’s a fair trade in my book. I’m not sure what others are getting from their E-Tip loads but 3130 fps seems more than adequate in my opinion. I could get more from the RL26 but don’t really see the need. I don’t try to load on the ragged edge anyway. My rifle, my hands, and my face mean more to me than velocity. Not to mention loved ones use my rifles as well. I am excited however, to have a top end, accurate, and consistent load with the E-Tip. I picked up a LOT of them from an estate sale and was determined to find the right combination. It took a little time but I think I have it nailed down now.

Joe, may I ask what your charge weight is for the RL26?

Thank you, Dan

Joec7651":2mxawrdo said:
I’m resurrecting this thread. I kept working with the E-Tips for the last year and finally decided on my hunting load. DrMike was kind enough to run the Quickload numbers for me on my final load and I have a load that I think will serve well for whatever comes within range. I’m going with RL26 at 3130 fps from my 24” barreled 270 Win. It doesn’t group the .383” that IMR7828 does but it still holds a consistent half inch at 100 yards. The 7828 load shows higher pressure than the RL26 with 100 fps less velocity so I chose to have less stress on the rifle with more velocity, and go with the RL26 load. I’m giving up less than 1/4” in group size so it’s a fair trade in my book. I’m not sure what others are getting from their E-Tip loads but 3130 fps seems more than adequate in my opinion. I could get more from the RL26 but don’t really see the need. I don’t try to load on the ragged edge anyway. My rifle, my hands, and my face mean more to me than velocity. Not to mention loved ones use my rifles as well. I am excited however, to have a top end, accurate, and consistent load with the E-Tip. I picked up a LOT of them from an estate sale and was determined to find the right combination. It took a little time but I think I have it nailed down now.
>>> Good shooting and nice rifle. I'm getting 3,240 with 130 tip and RL26. I am a velocity junkie for hunting loads...lol

Joe, thanks for the info. I am playing around a bit with the 130 E-Tip and RL-26. I am seeing a bit more velocity than you are and way more velocity than QB predicts with its default Ba value for RL-26. I didn't get a group under 1" until I got up to a bullet jump of .175". Dan

Thanks- Ive upgraded the scope since that was taken. 4-12 side focus- even more fun now. CL

Attachments

• IMG_1380.JPG
    IMG_1380.JPG
    543.5 KB · Views: 4
Back