140AB 7mm Mauser 2940FPS

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
I finalized my load yesterday for the 7mm Mauser, and my boy wanted to stuff one of them into the jugs. Very impressive bullet really. It retained 93.1 grains and expanded to .580". I found the bullet in the bottom of the 5th jug and expansion was about as nice as you could want from an AB.

I think this load is a keeper. Accuracy is very good with it, and looking at the terminal results, I think this load would handle alot of game the 7mm is good for.

Classic performance of a great bullet, I'd say. Excellent results.

Scotty,

Very nice performance. Its on par with the 140 gr PT.

JD338

JD338":1f3f83ez said:
Scotty,

JD338

I love that rifle/bullet/cartridge Jim. I just can't think of too much I would feel like I was undergunned with carrying that slim little rifle. Just need one of my own now. I don't think my son will let me shoot it much more....

SJB358":aqnmhjoz said:
JD338":aqnmhjoz said:
Scotty,

JD338

I love that rifle/bullet/cartridge Jim. I just can't think of too much I would feel like I was undergunned with carrying that slim little rifle. Just need one of my own now. I don't think my son will let me shoot it much more....

Scotty,

You are justified to go get yourself a M70 Featherweight 7mm Mauser. :mrgreen:

JD338

Great results! See what the mauser can do in modern brass and rifles?

FOTIS":3fq8kvuw said:

Without a doubt Fotis. Really has alot going for it. I love the long neck and the longer mag in the Winchester. Really allows the little 7 to act bigger.

Jim, yeah, you aren't kidding buddy. I would truly like to have one of my own now. Really have gained alot of respect for it since I started monkeying with it.

SJB358":125ag9ie said:
FOTIS":125ag9ie said:

Without a doubt Fotis. Really has alot going for it. I love the long neck and the longer mag in the Winchester. Really allows the little 7 to act bigger.

Jim, yeah, you aren't kidding buddy. I would truly like to have one of my own now. Really have gained alot of respect for it since I started monkeying with it.

Its almost as good as the 280 Remington. Excellent round for deer.

JD338

No surprise here with the ABs performance. If I recall correctly, you're pushing that around 2850fps? That will handle anything. Nice load!

That is great velocity with a great bullet, Scotty. I'd be comfortable toting that for most of the ungulates I encounter around here.

RL17 works pretty well with the little 7mm Mauser. It is the only cartridge I have found so far, that it does what it is supposed to. Next up would have been W760, but since I am an Alliant kinda guy, I don't mind keeping some 17 on hand.

That looks very good, should make an excellent all around load for your son's 7x57

CatskillCrawler":1rtg6aoq said:
That is a superb load Scotty. I never would have imagined that velocity out of a 7mm Mauser.

I am very impressed with it CC. I have some new Norma cases for it now. Going to back it down some and work back up in order to verify the load in the new cases as they are heavier than the WW brass, but anything in that area and I will be happy. Pretty sure I have the seating depth licked as well, so it shouldn't take much, once I get my hands on some RL17!

That's perfect performance.

Would be interesting to run one into the jugs around 2500fps to see if it still expands as nicely out around 200 yards.

bobnob":1va1g5uy said:
That's perfect performance.

Would be interesting to run one into the jugs around 2500fps to see if it still expands as nicely out around 200 yards.

Bob, I'll give it a run later this Summer. Saving up some jugs to try it out..

Back