150 BT at 2950fps or should I go Accubond for deer

PPosey

Beginner
Mar 15, 2005
Loading some 30-06 loads near 2950fps and thinking about the Ballistic tips but at that speed should I go with a AccuBond? Not very familular with either bullet in a 30 cal.,,,,, Fugure the AccuBond will open about as fast will it not? But stay together better.

I don't doubt you will get some differing opinions but I would go AccuBond for sure at that velocity. I have never seen a BT not exit but the holes they leave are way to big for me.

My experience with AccuBond exits is about 1.5" where BT's has been baseball to grapefruit size with that bullet out of 30-06 type calibers.

I love the 120 gn 7mm BT's because they stay together great, but not so with the 150's.

Long

longwinters":3lh8o7fi said:
I don't doubt you will get some differing opinions but I would go AccuBond for sure at that velocity. I have never seen a BT not exit but the holes they leave are way to big for me.

My experience with AccuBond exits is about 1.5" where BT's has been baseball to grapefruit size with that bullet out of 30-06 type calibers.

I love the 120 gn 7mm BT's because they stay together great, but not so with the 150's.

Long

If you can try both on deer. I know the BT bullets that my brother in law shoots out a 130 gr 270 & drop deer where they stand. He has taken 4 does in Maryland to date. wish I could, he's retired so goes every day, I'm still working.. blah, blah....

My only experience with the BT is also with the 120BT in 7mm,,,, great little bullet,,,,,

I am leaning towards the AccuBond in the 150 30 cal,,,, loading these for my uncle and he dosn't shoot much so price is not that important

Either will work great. Believe me I have used them a lot.

Either bullet will work. If you have shots up close, I would go with the AB.

JD338

I used the 165 AccuBond in my .308 this season. Killed deer reliably with a launch speed of 2,700 ft/sec. Expansion and penetration were both good.

At that speed I could have easily used the less expensive BT but I'd rather spend the extra couple of bucks and use a bullet that will perform reliably under almost any circumstance.

The AccuBond will do everything the Ballistic Tip can do, and more. The opposite can not be said.

Just my 2 cents.

The Ballistic Tip will be the bullet of choice at those velocities because you are getting more than likely a little less as you said. I used the Ballistic tip on 221 pound hogs out of my 06 at 90yds and dropped the hog in her tracks. I have killed some bucks up close 30yds and one at 25yds and they dropped where I shot them. There are two bullets I think are the best killing deer bullets ever made for the 06 and that is the 165gr Ballistic Tip and the 165gr Sierra HPBT. I have hunted deer for many years and the last 25yrs using these two bullets. Many times could not decide which one to use and the reason is that neither have failed for me to drop deer and I mean drop them in their tracks. I am not exaggerating when I say the BT or the HPBT have never failed to drop them in their tracks. Still to this day I am not sure which one is really better or which one I would stick with.

Charlie-NY":2m7xzar1 said:
I used the 165 AccuBond in my .308 this season. Killed deer reliably with a launch speed of 2,700 ft/sec. Expansion and penetration were both good.

At that speed I could have easily used the less expensive BT but I'd rather spend the extra couple of bucks and use a bullet that will perform reliably under almost any circumstance.

The AccuBond will do everything the Ballistic Tip can do, and more. The opposite can not be said.

Just my 2 cents.

Spot on Charlie!

JD338

bullet":3r42ylth said:
There are two bullets I think are the best killing deer bullets ever made for the 06 and that is the 165gr Ballistic Tip and the 165gr Sierra HPBT. I have hunted deer for many years and the last 25yrs using these two bullets.

Agree, the 165 gr is just about perfect in the 30-06 for deer. Load the 165 gr AB and you are good to go up to elk.

JD338

JD338":nlpvils7 said:
bullet":nlpvils7 said:
There are two bullets I think are the best killing deer bullets ever made for the 06 and that is the 165gr Ballistic Tip and the 165gr Sierra HPBT. I have hunted deer for many years and the last 25yrs using these two bullets.

Agree, the 165 gr is just about perfect in the 30-06 for deer. Load the 165 gr AB and you are good to go up to elk.

JD338

Really the bullet that Nosler has just produced the E-tip in 150gr would do better for deer to elk than the AccuBond in my opinion. I am as you know working on a load for it in my 30-06. I just got some more Nosler brass and a new box of 150gr E-Tips to develop my load. I am going to try it on deer next year and see how it preforms. One thing for sure it should not only open up but stay together up close. It will be interesting to see if it drops them in their tracks. My experience though tells me they will go down quick and not go far but will not drop every time in there tracks. I believe the reason being is that the BT comes apart some and creates devastating projectiles that are part of the reason the deer drops in his tracks. Well next year will let me know when I see the results and inspect the wound when cleaning.

I have also bought some E-Tips to try in the .308. However, I ordered the 150's rather than the 165-168gr that I normally shoot. I can't imagine the E-Tips having better terminal performance than the Accubonds but what the heck .... I've just gotta try everything that Nosler makes.

I don't use Noslers exclusively but I must admit that when used for the applications that they are designed for they have never let me down.

OK Nosler - do I get my free baseball cap now? :lol:

bullet":3b0jfray said:
I believe the reason being is that the BT comes apart some and creates devastating projectiles that are part of the reason the deer drops in his tracks.

Exactly. The tissue gets shredded. Ever notice how the lungs get jelled when hit with a BT?

JD338

Antelope_Sniper":3hwrnvoq said:
If you are only going to hunt with one bullet, it should be an AccuBond....except for you guys in CA, then it should be an E-tip!

Well said A_S

JD338

I got three different loads I will be trying tomorrow with the E-Tip using three different powders, H4350, IMR4350 and H4831sc. JD, I took your advice about just being off the lands.

bullet":259kdudj said:
I got three different loads I will be trying tomorrow with the E-Tip using three different powders, H4350, IMR4350 and H4831sc. JD, I took your advice about just being off the lands.

bullet,

If you are referring to me, I think I said .100" off the lands for the E-Tip.

JD338

JD338":26vu72ua said:
bullet":26vu72ua said:

bullet,

If you are referring to me, I think I said .100" off the lands for the E-Tip.

JD338

Yes Jim, that is what I did .100" off lands.

Back