.17 Fireball or .204 Ruger

critterskinner

Beginner
Sep 21, 2009
I am having a hard time deciding which one to get. I am looking at a Remington Model 700 VSF .17 Remington Fireball or a Remington Model 700 SPS .204 Ruger. If I get the .204 I will also have to get a replacement stock because I don't like the factory one. Can everyone offer there opinion to help me decide?

I'd have to say it all depends on what you plan on using it for ?

There is an ok selection of .17 cal bullets available now -

I have a regular .17 Remington - fun to shoot, but it will generally stay home on my coyote hunting trips. Seems to me at times that little .17 cal bullet will go right through a critter without them even knowing they have been hit.......

critterskinner

What are you going to be hunting and at what ranges?

JD338

I will be shooting crows and a variety of 4 legged predators. Range will be from 100 yards to 300 yards max. And maybe an occasional head shots on hogs.

I really like my 204 but I have toyed with the idea of a 17 FB just to say I have one

you can get the VSF in 204 also and it qualifies for the 100 dollar rebate.

I know the stocks dont look like much but they are relatively functional and the only diff tween the vsf on sps is the rubber inserts

get the vsf in 204!

"I personally" would not use either for hogs, head shot or not. They do not have suitable bullets etc for them and hogs.
I have a 204 and my friend has the 17fireball. Both are fun and neither kick. "I" think the 204 is a bit more versitble(sp) round but both are actually pretty specialized rounds with a narrow window of game/conditions for use.

Back