17 Hornet loading with Dillon 550

frankm

Handloader
May 10, 2009
Guys,
Background: we use 223 gopher reduced loads with Blue Dot to shoot ground squirrels. Use cheapest bulk bullets possible and load on Dillons with Lee collect neck dies as they require no lube/mess.... great system for high volume shooting.

QuestionIssue: want to setup my 17 Hornady Hornet for same volume loading BUT Dillon doesn't do a 17 Hornet collet die. Has anyone ever seen such an animal? How about in 17 AH? If such a thing would that neck size the Hornet?

Want to remain lubeless on neck sizing as it makes everything so much easier and quicker.
Appreciate thoughts or solutions if anyone has such.

Fotis.... I know you were in the 17 Hornet arena... you done anything similar to what I ve described?
Thx everyone.
Frank

Correction... Lee doesn't make 17 Hornet collet die .. ( I typed Dillon)

Yup Lee does not make a collet die. Still waiting for one. Your only choice is back out an flr die to neck size ONLY and use a smidge of Imperial sizing wax in the case mouth of the Hornet. It will not contaminate anything

Thx Fotis. I m hoping they might make a collect die but the 17 HH has been out for quite a number of years.

Might call them and see how expensive a custom collet die would cost. Had thoughts of modifying a 17 Rem die if it could be machined shorter but sure that'd cost more than a custom die if it could even be done!

Not too sure about that modification
gotta look at the #'s

Fotis, FYI....
Took Cartridge specs of 17 Rem and 17 HH to a Smith friend and he thinks he can machine .400 +/- off 17 Rem collet die, build a .400 spacer on top and we ll be good to go. Gonna give it a try and have ordered 17 Rem collet die. We shall see!!

Clarification.... machine .400 off collet, build top spacer of .400 and NOT touch actual die body...

Back