180 AB in 300 WM

frankm

Handloader
May 10, 2009
Just re-barrel my 300 WM and switching from 165 ABs to 180 ABs .... Would appreciate any input you guys have regarding what bullet jump you ve found accuracy with. Seems that many folks claim .070-.100 is typically a good starting point.

All input much appreciated.

frank, I load as long as the magazine will permit. 1/2 MOA with 72 grains of H-4350, Winchester case, CCI mag primer 180 gr Partition. My goto load since I ran out of military surplus powder in the 70"s.

When working up a load, I always have it .020 bullet seated from the lands so you can seat deeper or shallower on a group load that shot the best.

Well that's one way to do it. I don't load for 300WM but I do use the 180 AB in my 30-06. I loaded to book OAL (3.330) and found no need to adjust it.

Do you Guys know how this particular bullet perform on long range shots (400+) either on paper and on game ?

TY
JM :wink:

jagermeister":8pp6bb38 said:
Do you Guys know how this particular bullet perform on long range shots (400+) either on paper and on game ?

TY
JM :wink:

Can't speak to game but it's a very good Bullet. Used it in my 300 WSM and shot some excellent groups at distance. If it shoots well, I have no doubt it'll work well on animals. It's a bonded 180 Ballistic Tip. Both of those are tough Bullets.

Here is a 180 gr. AccuBond out of my son's 300 WSM at 500 yards and a 165 gr. out of my 30-06 at 400 yards. The one out of my 30-06 hit the particle board I had the jugs sitting on first right at the lower edge of the jugs and then penetrated into 5 jugs stopping on the back of the jug. The 300 WSM went through 5 and was stopped by the 6th jug and did not penetrate it. Great performance up close also on these.

Not out of a 300 WM, but still a good test. Nosler E-tip, AccuBond, and Partition out of my 6mm Remington into jugs at 400 yards.

300 WSM 180 gr. AccuBond on my son's nice cow elk at 100 yards. Great performance.

A 200 gr AB out of my 300WM retained 135 grs (67.5%) and expanded to .550-.575 ish .... More bullet than I need this my desire to work with the 180 AB.

Tried posting pictures of bullet and moose but sequel error... What can I say; I m not a techie!

Trying again!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 902
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 902
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 902
Frank, even though the 200 is more bullet, I'm not sure you'd notice the difference between the two on game. Is there something you are looking to gain dropping back to the 180's?

And that is an awesome recovery from the moose. That bullet looks text book perfect.

A little less recoil and a slightly flatter trajectory; but I agree both bullets will do similar work, especially on elk or smaller ....

Back