Range Trip with my son & Friends

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Enjoyed a fun range trip with a couple of friends and my son this morning. Got out of there before it got too warm. Started with some pistol instruction for my two friends. They're a married couple I've known for years and have shot, but not much with their handguns. They were wonderfully safe with their handguns! Both were shooting Browning Buck Mark 22's. I mostly used my Ruger 22/45. We did some warm-up accuracy drills, then several different defensive shooting drills, and finished up with more slow paced accuracy shooting. I like to end my practice sessions with 10 - 20 shots at a relaxed pace, trying for tight groups.

They left and my son arrived. We had some fun with my 9mm Kimber 1911 - what an easy gun to shoot well! The full size, all steel 1911 just soaks up most of the recoil from the 115 gr FMJ Remington ammo. Double taps are fast & accurate. John was shooting his 45 Kimber 1911, and then switched to the Ruger 22/45 while I shot up some odds and ends of various 38 Special handloads from the 3" Model 60. After a couple of hours of all this handgun shooting, we shifted over to the 300 yard rifle range.
yhAYBmkh.jpg

OFM2Xu6h.jpg

MBPpSm3h.jpg

John had his 7mm Rem Mag Bergara with 150 grain Hornady ELD-X handloads. I had my favorite hunting rifle, the good ol' 30-06 Rem 700 topped by a simple 6x Leupold. My handloads were the 165 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip over a max charge of H4350 for about 2940 fps. I've done a bit of hunting with that load and it's done well on antelope, elk, mule deer & black bear. The handload was once again, quite accurate at a bit under 3/4" at 100 yards from the bipod. I was actually holding at the bottom of the black bullseye, so this group is about 2" high at 100 yards. That zero has worked out real well for me over the years and today I slammed the steel gongs at 100, 200 and 300 yards with it as well. John concentrated on the steel targets at 100, 200 & 300 yards with his 7mm Mag. I tell you... That speedy 150 grain 7 Rem Mag load really smacks those gongs! Velocity is about 3200 fps and I've shot 1/2" groups with it before. Great rifle!

rURnHnuh.jpg

It was a great morning! About three hours at the range and enjoyed all of it.

Regards, Guy

They left and my son arrived. We had some fun with my 9mm Kimber 1911 - what an easy gun to shoot well! The full size, all steel 1911 just soaks up most of the recoil from the 115 gr FMJ Remington ammo. Double taps are fast & accurate. John was shooting his 45 Kimber 1911, and then switched to the Ruger 22/45 while I shot up some odds and ends of various 38 Special handloads from the 3" Model 60. After a couple of hours of all this handgun shooting, we shifted over to the 300 yard rifle range.
Kimber is severely underrated imo, I've got myself a Micro after reading about it at Gunicorns.com , one of my favs now! Also nice photos :D
ELD-X are so good, the only downside are pricy as hell, at least where I live...

P.S you and your son looks so alike it's insane, even huge aviators can't hide it :D

Last edited:
Great memories for colder days when one can't get out to enjoy a day at the range or afield with friends and family!

Back