180 grain accubond

laker,

The AB is one tough bullet. I have recovered 200 gr AB's at 50 yds shot at 3200 fps from my 338 RUM and they have held together. It may toast the shoulder on an elk but it will get the job done. The PT will most likely take out both shoulders. :wink:

JD338

Yes, at ANY range. I took an antelope with one at 1000 yds. Shot clean through her. With known distance and known wind, I'd take an elk at that range with my 7 STW.
The only limitation is how good are YOU!

laker":3k67ej45 said:
Would you feel comfortable driving a 180 grain AccuBond from a 300 win mag through a bull elks shoulder at ANY range?

Yes, I have extreme confidence in shooting the 180AB at an elk at ANY distance that I'm confident of shooting at, i.e. my current self-impose max range is 350yds. If I can't get any closer than that, I won't take a "poke" at it. As I get more practice at longer ranges, I'll extend my max range.

You bet!!!!

I drove a 200 grain AccuBond out of my .300WM through the on shoulder of a 5x5 bull at 30 yards...it did the job in short order with 51% weight retention.

I have since switched to the 180 grain version and have put several more elk in the freezer.

No worries with the AccuBond here.

You know the E-tip commercial....the one where something is walking up behing the two guys shaking the earth, probably a T-Rex, and the guy just turns around with confidence and shoot it? In my Opinion, that commercial was made for the wrong bullet. It should of been made for the AccuBond.

We have shot truckloads of deer antelope and elk with them. They are great.

laker":2k3tb197 said:
What about at 50 yards?

I did the ultimate test for bullet performance. I shot a 172lb(gutted) wild hog at 50yds with a 180AB out of my 300RUM. Poor shot placement on my part due to he was running caused it to hit his hind leg bone and lodge in the skin of his abdoman on the opposite site. I have the bullet, and it had 60% retention. The second shot was in the pump house, exit was about the size of a .50 coin.

GooseHunter Jr":15317rs8 said:
I keep thinking about trying them this year for elk, but I have a hard time leaving the 225's

If you are talking .338 cal, I would stay with the 225 gr AB. :wink:

JD338

Yes, Yes and Hell yes. There is no bullet other than the Swift A-frame I would say that about . That is one dead elk. I speak from experience on the subject. The AccuBond is the best bullet ever conceived and built to my knowlege. I havn't tried the e-bullet yet. I have 4 Kills on elk from 30 yards to 250 yards at 3100 fps and the bullet came as close to a smart bomb as I could possibly imagine . It "WILL PENETRATE" ,48 inches of rumen, and expand at the perfect rate. Shoulder bone or whatever.
Thank goodness I'm not Too opinionated on the subject. :p
Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

Oh yeah. I 've seen what a 225 AB did on two elk (not mine, people in my hunting camp) and a big blacktail buck that I killed. Perfection in each case.

It might not be the bullet I would CHOSE if I knew for sure that I'd be shooting bull elk at 30 yards, but, I wouldn't sweat it too hard if that turned out to be the case.

Funny thing though... I WANT to use the 200-gn AccuBond in my .325 WSM. I do a lot of long-range shooting with it (well, only out to 500 yards) and guess what bullet does best "out there"? The 200-gn Partition! Go figure.

-jeff

Hi there,
My 13 yr old son took an elk at 190 yds from a 7MM weatherby mag with a 160 gr AB. Broke the front shoulder, took out the heart, broke a rib, and lodged just inside the hide on the far side. The elk went less than 40 yds before expiring.

Only complaint, we did not get a blood trail because of the lack of an exit wound. But, i would call that a successful shot.
Hardpan

Back