180 grain Barnes TTSX

Desert Fox

Handloader
Aug 14, 2006

This is the picture of the recovered 180 grain Barnes TTSX bullet from a hog that my friend Frank shot a couple of weeks ago. I reloaded this bullet for his Gruning Custom 300 Weatherby rifle. The bullet was recovered underneath the hide on the lower chest area after entering the right ham. I estimated the impact velocity at around 2800 fps and the bullet penetrated about 26 inches. Retained weight is around 80%. The recovered bullet weigh about 144.5 grains. I also used the same bullet on my 300 Winchester Magnum on this hunt. Mine was never recovered. The pig was standing broadside on top of the ridge at 200 yards. I hit the pig right below the armpit shattering the lower part of the lungs and somehow exited at a downward angle and blow up the hog's right front elbow. I must have hit a bone or something. Never seen that happened before. Reminds me of Warren Commissions single bullet theory. Weird.

Great performance. Good penetration and weight retention, to be certain. (y)

Nice recovery!!! Looks like it hit something hard to lose some petals.

SJB358":dudexr1f said:
Nice recovery!!! Looks like it hit something hard to lose some petals.
> I've noticed that bones wipes of the petals of this bullet. so does testing in the silty/loam media in my experience (y)

Back