1894 22 WMR

Thebear_78

Handloader
Sep 30, 2004
I picked up a Marlin 1894 in 22 WMR a couple months ago and finally got a chance to take it to the range today. It had a rain mount on it when I got it so I put a 2-7 leupold vx2 on it. The hardest part was finding ammo.

I was pleasantly surprised at how well it shot. CCI maximag 40gr solids shot a nice little 1.5” cluster of 5 shots at 100 yards. I then used anoth 10 rounds breaking clay pigeon pieces on the back berm. Due to the scarcity of ammo that was all I could afford to use.

I think now that bears are going to sleep for winter this will replace my 1894 44 mag in its chicken flock protection duties.

7ce44fb1a96529a4526026b194fc8c7e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That should be a super fun rifle, and well suited to the protection task. I too have limited my use of the "Mag" due to Ammo scarcity. :( CL

cloverleaf":2irx3vus said:
I too have limited my use of the "Mag" due to Ammo scarcity. :( CL

Nice rifle!

Check Natchez for 22 WMR ammo, they sent a flyer this morning for an ammo sale. They actually have some available as I type this.

Sadly I’m in Alaska. We don’t have the mail order ammo option. If I can’t find it local I have to stock up when someone flies down

AFG270":3nbtlc1g said:
cloverleaf":3nbtlc1g said:

Nice rifle!

Check Natchez for 22 WMR ammo, they sent a flyer this morning for an ammo sale. They actually have some available as I type this.

Comes to $23 a box! Na- I'll make em wait for my money. CL

22 WRM ammo seems to be reasonably priced and available here.

JD338

cloverleaf":15cukkg0 said:
AFG270":15cukkg0 said:
cloverleaf":15cukkg0 said:

Nice rifle!

Comes to $23 a box! Na- I'll make em wait for my money. CL

If you buy a brick that comes to $16.50/box delivered.
I bought a brick of CCI Maxi-Mags about 5 years ago for $14.50/box delivered, that is only about a 14% increase. That is not bad considering many other components and ammo have increased a lot more than that. I also bought cheaper 22 WMR ammo a few years ago, but it is not nearly as accurate as CCI Maxi-Mags. In my rifle anyway.

I’ve always wanted a .22 WMR rifle, alas my only .22 Magnum is the second cylinder of my Ruger Single Six.

Its an extremely popular cartridge in these parts.

I have a boat paddle Ruger stainless I really love , except the trigger, don't love the trigger.

Shoots damn good

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Back