1895 Chilean Mauser Bolt Handle

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
So a friend of mine asked me to restock his 1895 Chilean 7x57 rifle. We also decided to get it drilled and tapped at the local smith. His thoughts are a deer rifle for his son who is too young as of yet to go out in the field with a rifle but in the coming years, I can hardly think of a better choice for someone starting out.

My question is this, Do I need to get the bolt handle bent down to accomodate the mounting of a scope?

If it sticks straight out to the side, like most do, then yes. It would probably be better to cut it off a re-weld a handle on. It's lower profile that way and allows for the lowest scope mounting.

Yep! Mounting a scope on this rifle will require a bolt handle job, either bending and forging the old handle or welding on a new handle. You will also have to install a new low safety because the old wing safety will not clear the rear end of the scope.

The bolt handle has already been bent down and the military stock had been "sporterized" and the miltary ladder sights had been replaced. Was pretty sure I would have to replace the safety but wasnt sure about the bolt handle. Thanks.

Would love to see a photo of the rifle regardless of what condition its in. Love those old old old Mausers!

Most of the time when people bend the bolt handle they just bend it straight over. This makes what I call a convex bend on the bolt. It really needs to be reshaped when bending to make it a concave bend so it will clear a scope. You may be able to file or grind the convex bend enough to get it to clear the scope eye piece. If you have to replace the bolt handle the easiest way is to just saw the old bolt handle off at an downward angle where the bolt handle meets that square part that is attached to the bolt sleeve. Then make you another bolt handle on a lathe and weld it on. You can really make a nice looking rifle out of these. You can get a Mannlicher style stock and make you a butter knife style bolt handle without having to use a lathe. Take a good piece of flat bar stock metal and heat and bend it to shape and then do a lot of filing and fitting. I would use a Bold trigger with the slide safety. It is adjustable and a really good trigger for the money. 46.6 grs IMR 4350 and the Hornady 154 gr Interlock really makes an accurate load and it kills deer great. How do I know? I made up a hunting rifle for a buddy from this same rifle type.

Thanks guys, we decided to go with a sporter type stock and I may end up trying to get a new bolt handle welded on rather than re shaping th eold one though I am not sure yet. The options are endless on a custom rifle.

Back