1895 guide gun help

TScottW99

Handloader
Sep 14, 2007
Was wondering if anyone has had this problem and know a simple fix before I have to ship the gun off to Marlin.

When I go to lever a round into the chamber the round will hang on top of the receiver. I have to back the lever up and the push forward to chamber the round.

This is with the Hornady leverolution (sp?) which is actually shorter then a normal round.

Thanks in advance.

Wish I could help. Have owned two 1895's, one a Guide Gun, and both worked flawlessly. Never tried the Hornady LE ammo from one though.

Have you tried conventional flat-nose ammo in it? Might be worth it just to buy a box of the flat nose stuff and see if it cycles.

Regards, Guy

Mine does that too when the cartridge is too long. If you are reloading this round with the ftx bullet, then you have to follow the instructions from hornady's web site and I have the link below for you

http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/ftx ... in_ftx.pdf

Carefully trim the cases like described in the instructions because the bullet is a little longer and pay close attention to the overall length of the cartridge. Maybe the factory round is too long. Measure and see. Try to chamber some flat points like Guy said and see if the problem persists too. If it's a 450 then go to hornady's web site and get the instructions on it there in the bottom right corner of the home page.
Like I mentioned,I had this exact problem when the cartridge is too long and maybe the factory round or your reload is too long.
Hope this helps :grin: :grin:

Thanks guys.

This is factory ammo. I got the gun right at deer season via The List and used it with the flaw through bear season hoping I did not need a fast second shot :lol:

I will give Marlin a call tomorrow and see what they say.

TScottW99

Congratulations on the 1895 Guide! I have the same rifle and haven't had any issues with it. I have only used hand loads- 300 gr JHP, 300 gr PP, 405 gr SP, and some 350 gr hard cast bullets in W-W brass.

You should look at www.marlinowners.com there is a lot of knowledgeable folks there that may be able to help you.

JD338

TScottW99":2bnw7qml said:
Was wondering if anyone has had this problem and know a simple fix before I have to ship the gun off to Marlin.

When I go to lever a round into the chamber the round will hang on top of the receiver. I have to back the lever up and the push forward to chamber the round.

This is with the Hornady leverolution (sp?) which is actually shorter then a normal round.

Thanks in advance.

You might need a new plastic follower which you need to install for perfect feeding with the LE rounds. All Marlin MRX's have them

POP":2ha0a14m said:
TScottW99":2ha0a14m said:

Thanks in advance.

You might need a new plastic follower which you need to install for perfect feeding with the LE rounds. All Marlin MRX's have them

Good point,

The "new" plastic follower will accommodate the Leverlution ammunition. Check out MO, I know there has been some discussion there.

JD338

Ditto
OR put a standard flatpoint in the tube first and then the leverevolution rounds should feed. That's how I overcame it. Pop has the best solution though!! It will cure all the problems.
Greg

Back