20 gauge for Turkey and Grouse

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
Found a really good sale on the regular black stock Stevens 301 shotguns ($179.99 CAD). Game will be primarily grouse and turkey when my wife and I move to the Southern Interior. They come with modified chokes but we can buy extra full turkey chokes for any of them. Out of the .410, 20 and 12 gauge which two would you pick for my wife and I to use? I am leaning towards a 20- gauge but for the other shotgun which way would you go, bigger or smaller? I do have 12 gauge ammo but can sell it locally. The 12 and 20 are supposed to weigh 5.9 lbs and the .410 about 4.6 lbs.

Thanks in advance.

I've not shot one of these guns but it is fairly light so I'm guessing it is going to recoil some in a 12 gauge. My thoughs would be the 20 gauge and the .410 bore. You didn't say how much shooting your wife does, it could make a difference on the selection.

We took a good look at them at our LGS and decided to pass. They are well made guns for the price but I think anything bigger than a .410 is going to kick too hard for my wife. Might pick up a .410 one day still. They have a Stoeger Condor 20 gauge on sale that my wife really liked so I'll be heading back this morning to pick it up instead.

We took a good look at them at our LGS and decided to pass. They are well made guns for the price but I think anything bigger than a .410 is going to kick too hard for my wife. Might pick up a .410 one day still. They have a Stoeger Condor 20 gauge on sale that my wife really liked so I'll be heading back this morning to pick it up instead.
I was just about to say an O/U would recoil less. I have a Tristar Trinity 20 ga that's a kitten in the recoil department.

With the 20ga there is a lot of versatility over a 12ga without the weight and recoil. Loads from a 28 to 12 (amount of shot) makes it very handy. My son used a 20ga Rem 870 with Federal TSS #7 shot to kill a turkey last week. I use the Winchester Longbeard #6 load in my 20ga. Don't care if I ever use a 12ga again. Just me. Dan.

Picked up the Condor 20 gauge, nice gun for $450 CAD out the door, my wife really likes it too which is good since it's the one she will be using when we go out. I can see in the future buying a similar gun in 28 gauge for her for even less recoil. Took it out at lunchtime and fired some shells, definitely a lot less recoil than my old 12 gauge single shot that weighed 5 lbs 6 oz! That gun beat me up pretty good, sold it to a young guy who has a similar one already.

Dan, you're right with modern shells a 20 gauge is great even for geese. Seems like lots of good turkey options from specialized lead loads like the Winchester Long beard and up to the TSS loads. Canadian made Challenger target loads with 7.5 shot are plentiful and inexpensive and should work well for most grouse hunting. Never thought I would ever be without a 12 gauge but the 20 can do everything I would want with a lot less recoil.

Back