200 grain Accubond 30 06

MNsportsman60

Beginner
Apr 23, 2007
Can the 200 grain AccuBond be loaded in 30-06. I saw the load data for the 300WSM for the 200 grain AccuBond and was wondering if the jacket thickness was designed for higher velocity loads found in the magnums.

The Balistic co efficient on this projectile is unbelievable with a sec density over .3 Even with reasonable velocities out of an 06, should have plenty of wallop and alot of retained energy downrange.

Is there any load data for this? with balistic info?

Thanks

Steve

MNsportsman60,

Welcome to the forum.

The 200 gr AB can be loaded in the 30-06. You can use the 200 gr PT load data. Just remenber to start low and work up.
You will have a good BC and deep penetration with that combo.

JD338

JD is correct.
Try h4831 and rl22.
You should max out at 2650 or so. :wink:

Thanks for the quick response. I will look at the load data for the 200 PT. That was the other load I was considering. I figured they would end up being pretty similar load data but just wanted to make sure. The better BC of the AB should give it a little better performance for longer shots and the accuracy from what I have heard should be slightly better than the NP. From your experience, which is going to be a better elk round in 06, the 200 NP or the 200 AB?

Thanks again

Steve

Either one is going to work great. I would try the 200 gr AB and if you can't get acceptable accuracy, try the 200 gr PT.
I agree with Pop, RL22.

JD338

Since you'll be somewhat velocity-challenged with 200's in a 30-06, I'd probably start with the AccuBond and then try the PT if the AB didn't shoot well...

The one animal I've killed with an AccuBond, a nice big-bodied blacktail buck with a 180 from my 30-06, dropped on the spot and the bullet penetrated over 22" and still going strong from the looks of the exit wound. I think a 200-grainer from a 30-06 would be a great elk bullet. For that matter... the 180 ain't bad!

-jeff

Jeff, thanks for the feedback on the AB. In the past I have used the 180NP's (federal) for my hunting and have always had a through and through on deer. Haven't had to check my tracking skills yet as they have gone straight down. For whatever reason I am a heavy bullet fan. As I look at the ballistics, there isn't much difference in velocity (150 fps) or so between the 180's and 200's. What sways me in favor of the heavy bullets (especially the 200 AB) is the high ballistic coefficient and sectional density. The difference in drop at distance is minimal but better retained energy and retained velocity should provide deep penetration on a more heavily muscled and boned animal (elk)

I haven't started the reloading process yet but plan to start that this summer in preparation for working up loads for Elk hunting in CO and catching the later deer season her in MN.

Thanks again for the feedback on the AB

Steve

I haven't started the reloading process yet but plan to start that this summer in preparation for working up loads for Elk hunting in CO and catching the later deer season her in MN.

Well you have come to the right place when you are ready to start reloading. :wink:

JD338

JD 338. Thanks. I have hunted with NP for my entire hunting career (Fed Prem's) and have never had the NP's fail to do their job. Most of the guys I hunt with have now switched over (although most are staying with 165's)

I already have a couple of reloading manuals that I have read numerous times and have a reloading only shop in my area that puts on classes for some hands on work.

I think I would like to start out with a simple single stage press. Any suggestions on a good single stage press, dies and other accessories?

Thanks for the help

Steve

If I were you, I'd get something along the lines of the RCBS Reloader Special-5 or Rockchucker, Lyman Crusher, Redding Boss, or Lee Classic Cast press, or the Hornady O-Frame press (but it requires you to buy bushings for all your dies). Any of those are great, the list is in no particular order. You should really consider one of the 'starter kits' offered by Lyman, RCBS, Redding, or others, or consider putting together your own kit with the Lee Classic Cast press, as it is not offered in kit form from Lee. Pretty much any of the equipment you buy is going to be good, but you will likely find later on that you think you would like the features of other equipment better. I would stay away from electronics for the first little while, as they are confusing and difficult, sometimes.

In fact, reconsidering a little, you could get by with a good cast press and a decent scale (plan on spending about $55-70 for the scale) and a few hand tools. Then you'll need dies & a shellholder, which will run about $25-35 for a basic set, and can be had for over $100 if you have money to spend. I prefer Hornady dies, personally, but other brands are good. I have used RCBS, and like their pistol stuff, too. Other than that, powder, primers, and bullets are the only stuff you'll need, if you already have the brass. I love handloading, and I bet you'll enjoy it, too. Keep asking questions as you have them, there are plenty of folks out here who know a ton about handloading.

Back