2016 NM Buck Hunt

killdeernow

Beginner
Dec 20, 2006

The draw: In NM non-residents not using a guide/outfitter service are given 6% of the quota. That’s not taking into account all those applying which drops that 6% down depending on the number of permit applications for each given hunt unit. Why did I apply in NM? I was stationed there while active duty and know New Mexico inside and out.

The mindset: Saying I was pessimistic about being drawn would be an understatement. I justified my application fees as a donation to conservation and called it a day. When they released results and I found out I was selected for a deer hunt, I couldn’t believe it. I checked daily for almost a week to ensure I wasn’t hallucinating.

The hunt: November came quick and I was unprepared. This hunt was a solo hunt, no hunting partners, no friends wishing to join me, just me and the high desert of NM. Normally these hunts are 5 days. The time I was finished packing the trailer, finishing my duties around the house and ensuring my family would be good to go for at least five days without me, I had a guaranteed three day hunt.

The first day all I saw through glass was a doe and a cow elk. I found myself staring at the elk for almost an hour. What a waste of time, but I couldn’t help it. Those animals are beautiful and I was really enjoying watching the behavior of her.

The second day: in the morning I saw absolutely nothing. I don’t even recall hearing a crow. It was like the desert was dead. In the afternoon it was a different story. It was like the desert came alive, instantaneously. I saw hawks, crows, a variety of beautiful birds, rabbits, deer, elk and more. The deer I saw were three ridges over. There were two lower elevation ridges and a third and very high ridge. On the side towards the top there were four doe and a buck in between a nest of junipers. A nice buck, 4x4 verified through glass. Something that seems so close through quality glass can take hours to navigate as was this case. The time I navigated the two smaller ridges and closed the distance to something I felt comfortable shooting from, it was dark. I mean dark. I could make out a silhouette of deer but that’s about it. I couldn’t tell which one had antlers and which ones didn’t. Cease fire, day over. Marked the location on my GPS and said to myself, “see you tomorrow morning”.

The skunk: I was making my way back to the truck that was three miles away using a headlamp and GPS. I had a good eight to ten feet of walking light when looking down with my headlamp. As I was descending down one of the ridges I just navigated, the time my eyes told my brain which told my feet that there was a skunk, I was about three feet from stepping on its backside! Needless to say, I altered my route, unharmed. Talk about an adrenaline rush.

The third and final day: Tired, I was very tired. It was election night and my wife was tasked with giving me a play by play of the events as they unfolded via text (I had one bar intermittently). Radio and TV were a no-go where I was camping. My wife did a fantastic job and I got to sleep around 2:30 AM. Three hours later I woke up (yes, I did vote using the early ballot option that Arizona gives us). I ended up at the same spot I marked with my GPS the night before. Got setup and started glassing. I immediately spotted doe. I thought to myself, “bingo”. So I started glassing all of the doe, all around the doe, all around the junipers the doe were around and nothing. No buck to be found, anywhere. My years of experience hunting this area always had a buck in with the doe. Not a big buck but this hunt wasn’t about the size of the antlers, it was about filling the void I had in my freezer. I opted to negotiate the ridge, playing the wind, for a closer look because there had to be a buck in there. Well, three hours later, I closed within 150 yards, yes you read it correctly, 150 yards. I inspected each deer until I started thinking there were antlers on them. That’s when it’s time to take a break. I then navigated over that ridge into fresh county that I didn’t glass yet. I sat under a juniper and had a late lunch, made a phone call to a close friend that was having a stint put in (had great reception on top of that ridge), and started crafting a PM plan. It was approaching what some call the magic hour. The last hour of the last day of the hunt. I started heading into the wind, making my way to a juniper on top of a high peak that looked to offer the most viewing pleasure. On my way, I spotted movement. I immediately sat, acquired, inspected, and it was a buck. All by himself 558 yards away. I’m as about silhouetted as one could be. On my way up a peak, sun shining on me, no cover in the immediate area. Needless to say the buck saw me. I thought he disappeared…then I started calming down saying to myself that deer can’t disappear. They go someplace but it’s not like he was abducted. I reacquired him, laying down on the shady side of a juniper now 536 yards away. He was staring at me and I was staring at him; him with what God gave him, me with what Swarovski made. I looked at the time. It was now the magic half-hour. What now? We were in a stalemate. I wasn’t going to sound off a 536 yard shot at a buck laying down (some of you guys no doubt could make that shot but I know my limitations). I then reflected back at past mule deer hunts. I said, the heck with it, I’m going to walk towards the deer until he stands up. My past experiences with mule deer never had them panicking unless they smelled me. I had the wind at my favor but all other senses at his favor. Needless to say, I closed to 236 yards until he stood up. That’s when I sat down, extended the bipod on the ol’ 264 Win Mag and sent a 130 grain AccuBond through his lungs. He went 40 yards and called it a life.

Packing it out: It’s now almost twilight and I’m at the deer (trying to act like I’ve been in the end zone before but still really excited. I even threw in a fist pump). I unpacked my pack and set all my tools in row like a surgeon. I had two knives, a saw, game bags, water, gloves, a trash bag and my headlamp all laid out ready for darkness (the headlamp got a workout in NM). I did my thing, it took me almost three hours (4 quarters, ribs, neck, back straps, tenderloins, etc., put it all in my pack with everything else (gun, equipment, head w/antlers, meat)). I figure I was carrying over 130 + pounds on my back. Four miles later I was back at the truck, out of adrenaline, out of water, out of energy, and a huge smile on my face.

Enjoy,

That is an excellent account of a gratifying hunt! Congratulations on adjusting when the game required a change. You did right. The effort only makes the deer that much more significant. Congratulations.

OUTSTANDING!

Great job of stalking closer for the shot. That was a good call, and I'm glad it worked out.

Yee Haw, a 130 pound load? (y) Tough guy.

Awesome !
Gotta love a 264 and 130 ABs !
Nice buck and a great tale of the hunt.
Thanks for sharing it .

Back