210gr Partition in a 338Win Mag is an instant killer

bullet

Handloader
Dec 26, 2007
I shot a small buck today that weighted 145 pounds. The deer was coming toward me at a 45 degree angle. I aimed at the bases of his neck on his left side just in front of his left shoulder and the 210gr Partition traveling at 2936fps hit where I put the cross hairs at 35yds.

It went in the base of the neck going through just inside and to the right the of the left shoulder not hitting shoulder meat about 3 inches low under the spin destroying the heart and lungs traveling almost two feet and exiting through the ribs on the right side leaving a quarter size hole. No more blood shot than if I had hit him with a 270.

The deer was in a 1/2 to 3/4 run coming towards me not knowing I was there and when the 210gr Partition hit him it was like he hit a brick wall and thrown up off his feet onto his back and then landed on his side, with a pool of blood flowing from under him from the exit wound. Very impressive indeed, he never moved, not even a twitch, it was instant death.

IMG_9287.jpg

Where bullet entered
IMG_9288.jpg

Where bullet exited
IMG_9286.jpg

Mike,

Congratulations on your buck. That 338 210 gr PT is magic. :wink:

JD338

JD338":3b05jo1i said:
Mike,

Congratulations on your buck. That 338 210 gr PT is magic. :wink:

JD338

Yes, it is and outstanding bullet. It was in my 30-06 some years back when I used the 180gr Partition and this 210 in my 338Win mag is indeed like a lightening strike. I hope to put down a much larger buck before the season is over. Also, looking for a big hog.

Mike,

Congratulations. It has been a disappointing season for you in some ways, but this is a great conclusion. Thanks for posting the pictures.

DrMike":2j1duole said:
Mike,

Congratulations. It has been a disappointing season for you in some ways, but this is a great conclusion. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Thanks but I hope this is not the conclusion of my season. :) We get to hunt deer with rifle till Jan 21st down here and then I can muzzle load till Feb 15th. I am still looking for that big one and also a good hog.

We get to hunt deer with rifle till Jan 21st down here and then I can muzzle load till Feb 15th. I am still looking for that big one and also a good hog.

Then, I wish you continued success in your efforts. I anticipate more pictures posted of quality game.

DrMike":mnfp7ogo said:
We get to hunt deer with rifle till Jan 21st down here and then I can muzzle load till Feb 15th. I am still looking for that big one and also a good hog.

Then, I wish you continued success in your efforts. I anticipate more pictures posted of quality game.

Mike, I hope the same myself, it sure is fun hunting and getting but hunting is a love of mine and shooting - reloading a close second.

As you have witnessed, the 338 210 gr PT is a great bullet. It penetrates much better than the numbers would indicate. Typical exit wound too.

JD338

I've never heard anything bad about the .338/210 Partition. One of those terrific combinations I guess.

Congrats. Always nice to drop 'em in place!

Ever since I got my 338win mag many years ago that is the bullet I have used in it. Never found a need for the 250gr PAR but am sure it would be good also.

Great shot Mike, glad you scored with the 338. Looks like a very deadly combo there, and the hole is very tidy. Congratulations on your buck, hope to see some deer hunting with the 358. You are pretty lucky to have such a lengthy rifle season in your AO. Scotty

beretzs":3bxxcbfa said:
Great shot Mike, glad you scored with the 338. Looks like a very deadly combo there, and the hole is very tidy. Congratulations on your buck, hope to see some deer hunting with the 358. You are pretty lucky to have such a lengthy rifle season in your AO. Scotty

I'll be hunting some thick cover soon and that is were I will take the 358Win. Got the AccuBond shooting good and at 2556fps using 50grs of TAC and Fed 215 primers.

GB300wm and I are going to try out some new loads and (he has him a new Vanguard Stainless 338Win mag). I am going to try an old Lyman combo with the 338Win mag. IMR4350, Rem brass and Rem 9 1/2M primers and the 210gr Partition. Looking to get 2970-2980fps and if accuracy is good that would gain me another 50fps. Does not seem like much gain but if it is accurate that 50fps at this level will bump me up into the next level. More energy and better down range.

MIke,

Next level? You need a 338 RUM, 210 gr PT at 3200 fps. :lol:

JD338

JD338":240uplty said:
MIke,

Next level? You need a 338 RUM, 210 gr PT at 3200 fps. :lol:

JD338

No!!! The 338Rum is just a show off!!!!! Especially when one would not need anything with more killing power than the 338Win mag unless shooting elephant at 10yds and of course if you were shooting across wide canyons and very wide open spaces. :lol:

But is is the next level for sure and I mean the next level on both ends. :lol: :lol:

Mike,

Sight in the 210 at MV 3200 fps at 250 yds and you can hold on elk hair to 450 yds. Recoil isn't bad either.

JD338

JD338":3274qans said:
Mike,

Sight in the 210 at MV 3200 fps at 250 yds and you can hold on elk hair to 450 yds. Recoil isn't bad either.

JD338

Yes, I know, was only teasing you, the 338 Rum and the 338-378 can really reach out there. AT&T rounds - REACH OUT AND TOUCH THEM!!!! :)

Sight in at 2 1/2" heigh at 100yds with my 338Win mag and a 210gr Partition moving at 2976fps gives me a zero of 245 and hold center of mass with the cross hairs and good to 360yds, put cross hairs at 370yds on top of shoulders and good to 450yds. Not a Rum or Weatherby but not bad for just a plain Jane 338Win mag. :)

No worries Mike.

Plain Jane will do nicely. :wink:

JD338

Thanks for the story and photos. Good luck with the rest of the season.
That big one could be just around the next bluff.

Back