212 ELD-X 390 yards Elk

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Here are some pictures of the recovered 212 from my bull taken at 390. I’ll figure out the impact speed but the bullet crunched the near and far side front legs pretty well. Jacket and core were sitting next to one another at the hide/leg.

Hole in chest cavity

The amount of damage is astounding. Must have surely dropped that big boy as if he was pole-axed.

Impressive performance Scotty.
Congratulations to you on your bull and shooting.

JD338

Excellent documentation. I have a experience very similar from 2 years ago on a cow. 387 yards, pretty good downhill angle. 212eldx leaving at 2850 from my 30-338 Win. The shot was placed in the crease, never touched a bone. Normal entry, golf ball sized exit. She didn’t take a step and next to zero wasted meat. The bullet did it’s job. I’ll happily use them again.

DrMike":26ca9tpc said:
The amount of damage is astounding. Must have surely dropped that big boy as if he was pole-axed.

He must have died pretty quick. Looks like the bullet hit some pretty heavy bone and still made it to the far side intact.

It hammered both front legs pretty hard. Near side was fairly beat up, far side not too bad.

GB, great stuff. I was wondering how they’d hold up with some more speed on them.

Excellent work; which cartridge?
It was the 30-06 Don. First time since I was 14-15 that I have used it hunting. I have to say it made me a believer after shooting it all Summer. It was just right there once I got my dope dialed in. That 212 at 2700 is a pretty serious load in my book.

Back