22-250 Range time

lhsako

Handloader
Jan 12, 2012
Had the Remington varmint rifle out today. Coyote hunting time is here. 55 Vmax w/ 36.5 RL15. Velocity 3,730 FPS. The 2 shots to the left and the 2 shots to the right are fouling shots after cleaning with wipe-out. The final shots .84" at 200 Yards. Slight cross wind from the left. This is a
26 " tube w/ 1-14 twist.

Attachments

• unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 443
It does appear that coyotes could be in some trouble with that load. Good show!

Jupp.
I second the Doctor.
Any songdog getting close is in trouble.
And they won't know, because they are down before they hear the bang.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

I can hear the THWACK from here, nice shooting. I call with a Stevens 200 in 22-250 with a Boyds pepper laminate classic on it. Before CA went lead free I enjoyed great success with 50grn Vmax's and 37.5 of Varget. Also 55grn Vmax's with 36.0. I now shoot with 40grn Nosler ballistic tip lead free with CFE223. Still an accurate rifle but I miss those Vmax's.

The data claims some good speed with CFE223 and the 40. What are you getting? I get 4,000 with H380 w/ the 40 gr. lead BT. Accurate too. How Do the lead free bullets act terminally?

lhsako":3bps2i2l said:
The data claims some good speed with CFE223 and the 40. What are you getting? I get 4,000 with H380 w/ the 40 gr. lead BT. Accurate too. How Do the lead free bullets act terminally?

Terminally I can't ask for better. They act pretty much like a Vmax which I like, I shoot above and behind the shoulder and almost always avoid a splash, I have also had pin hole entrances with some shots of the yotes facing me. I got in a little trouble early this season with one that was quartering toward me, blew him up a little. If I remember correctly I am pushing them at 3,950 with a minimum charge of CFE223 which is 40 grains (Hogdgons annual handloading magzine).

The max says 43.0 and I think that gets you 4,250. I was so fed up with testing lead free Barnes that when I saw they shot 1/2-3/4 inch I just stopped right there. I also shot the 35grn bullets last season with 38.0 of Varget and they were blistering at like 4150, they put down the yotes just fine. I am going to stick with the 40's though. When you put them side by side they are the same size as a 55grn Vmax.......lead free really makes you pay attention to those twist rates.

This is above and behind the left shoulder at about 120 yards. About a dime to quarter sized entrance with no exit.

Attachments

• IMG_2887.jpg
    IMG_2887.jpg
    1,012.6 KB · Views: 319
That's great ! In the end, all you're losing is some retained energy and possibly a miniscule more wind drift.
Meaningless really. Nice rifle too. Keep launching lead,,,,oppps....non-lead at those yotes.

lhsako":2pdfuzf3 said:
That's great ! In the end, all you're losing is some retained energy and possibly a miniscule more wind drift.
Meaningless really. Nice rifle too. Keep launching lead,,,,oppps....non-lead at those yotes.

Hahaha thanks. Yeah since finding the Nosler lead free's.....its been a non issue.

Back