22 cal 40 gr BT ?

Yotecallr

Beginner
Feb 15, 2007
I'm thinking of loading these in my 22-250 with IMR8208 powder. MV should be over 4000 fps, what has been the success of this bullet on coyotes? Thanks.

You will be over 4000 without any problem. I have shot yotes with the 40 grain BT, but it really tears them up. I would stay with a 50-60 grain bullet for better results. The 50 grain bullets will still be able to fly between 3700 and 3800.

Or the 60gr BT's or PT's at 3800! The new Superformance powder really seems to make the 22-250 really scream! Scotty

Total plutonic reversal on yotes with that bullet. Decent choice if your not into keeping the pelts. I've beein using the 55gr B-tips & B-Kings.

I would use a heavier bullet for coyotes. I have shot quite a few with the 50 gr BT and exits through the slats is about the size of a nickle. I have has 3 runners, all were hit on the point of the shoulder quartering towards me at 100-125 yds. They died but I only recovered one the next spring. The 55 gr BT works like a champ.

JD338

Used to shoot the 40 BT out of my R-15. Never lost a yote but had several I had to shoot more than once (two of them got shot three times :( ). I'm really liking the sound of the 60 BT @ 3800 that Scotty suggested. That would be a great dog round for a good ways out there as well!

jmad_81":1faigqez said:
Used to shoot the 40 BT out of my R-15. Never lost a yote but had several I had to shoot more than once (two of them got shot three times :( ). I'm really liking the sound of the 60 BT @ 3800 that Scotty suggested. That would be a great dog round for a good ways out there as well!

I tested the 60 gr BT in my M700 VLS 22-250. The 1:14 twist shot 5-6" groups at 100 yds. If I had a faster twist, this would be my coyote bullet!

JD338

I shoot 60 grain v-max in my 12 twist 250 with great accuracy and authority. The ballistic tip would also be a good choice if I hadn't already tuned this load. 33.6 Varget produces 3450 fps.

Thanks everyone for the input. I want to take advantage of the flat trajectory the caliber offers, I don't care about the hides. The rifle is a Tikka T3 with 1/14 twist. I'll try the 40 grains and if I have to go to the 60 grain V max, I know from shooting them in my 223's they too are very accurate.

I've shot a lot of coyotes with that load and it works great unless you hit bone. If you do it's gonna splash bad...........Reall Bad. I think it's a good choice but there are better choices to be had. My favorite out of my .223 and 22-250 are 52 grn match hollow points.

I use H4895 with them and they do about 4150 and under 1/2".

Nosler had the 40 gr hollow point on sale early this year and I bought 500 for general shooting. Haven't loaded any yet but am looking forward to trying them

Back