22 hornet

chet

Handloader
Mar 10, 2006
well.....

I've got the urge for a 22 hornet bolt gun!!!!

as best I can tell, my options for new are cz, savage, and ruger.

there are a few used remington 799's around.

a good ole' pre 64 M70 is out of my price range! :cry:

what would you buy? and why?

also, can anyone explain a "K" hornet to me?

The "k" Hornet is essentially an "Ackleyed" hornet... blow out the body taper, sharpen the shoulder angle, etc.

If'n it where me... I'd go #1 in Hornet and have it punched to "k"... if not, go with the CZ.

Picked up a new Savage Model 25 the other day. Not much of a walk around rifle with that fluted bull brrel but it has some really nice features. If you could find a standard barrel model. Actually, seems to me that cal. should be in a Win. Feather weight. Find one of those and you've really got somthing. CL

That would be an awesome rifle in any of the ones you mentioned. I think I could load and shoot for the 22 Hornet more economically than the 22WMR or 17HMR. At least I would tell myself that and plus, I love to load, so it makes it even cooler! Scotty

I have always liked the 22 Hornet. Great round for calling coyotes up close in urban areas. :wink:

JD338

Works great for hunting at night too. Low noise and just a lot of fun. My 22 hornet did a great job on a badger and a half dozen jack rabbits last weekend between calling yotes. The 45 grain Hornady "hornet" bullet sure did a great job considering how small and "slow" (2700FPS) the cartridge is. Exits on everything from half dollar to fist size depend where hit...shots ranged from 20 yards to 100 yards. I'm confident it will do an excellent job on coyotes as well and may blow up inside, hopefully. That's about all there is to hunt now as of Feb 28th.

Never shot the hornet, I have sold and replaced my Magnum twice. The Magnum is my 22 and a 75 gr va-Max in my 250 Savage covers the rest of the "small stuff". Minimal recoil. Not a 22-250 by any means but then my 250 Savage will shoot 100 gr BT's fast enough to kill any deer that walks CL

I think I could load and shoot for the 22 Hornet more economically than the 22WMR or 17HMR. At least I would tell myself that and plus, I love to load, so it makes it even cooler! Scotty

my sentiments as well............

plus I have over 1000 speer 50gr TNT's sitting in a drawer doing nothing...........

seems most use 40 or 45 gr pills, I dont see why a 50gr wouldnt perform well.

The bullets designed for the Hornet have very thin jackets IE 35 V-max, 45 Hornady "Hornet", 40 Super Explosive Point, etc... The TNT is very explosive at high velocity but you may want to see what the lower velocity threshold is that will allow it to open up according to Speer. I do know they don't recommend shooting them over 3600 FPS from the muzzle or they may disenegrate in flight, so it may be a decent bullet to try.

the note inside the box of bult bullets says: "designed for use at 222 rem velocities"

I tried them out of a 223rem, and they shot fair, and vaporized rabbits!

I tried them in a 220swift (just for fun), the came apart.

Maybe they will be "fur friendly" out of the 22H...... also, I'd bet they kill with authority.
Hopefully I find out sooner rather than later :lol:

Back