.223 rem on WT Deer

6ptkiller

Beginner
Dec 7, 2009
Just wondering how many of you guys have used a .223rem on WT Deer? I have one & would like to take a deer with it & just wandering what type of lead you are using. I have 52gr-55gr HP, SP, Biltip & 60gr SP should I just stick with a neck & head shot?

6ptkiller

The 223 Rem is a fine caliber for varmints and predators but is too small for WT deer. I would really like to encourage you to use a larger caliber for deer hunting.
Head shots are indeed fatal but it is a small and potentially moving target. If you miss the brain, you risk hitting the jaw where the deer will die a slow painful death.

JD338

I have never done so, and it is highly inconceivable that I would ever be needing meat so badly that I would be tempted to do so. While the bullet will kill, there is too much danger of wounding. The game deserves more respect then to use such a small calibre bullet.

I agree with the other two guys. Now some states allow a 22 cal centerfire for deer, but honestly, it isn't enough of a bullet to harvest big game. Just my opinion, but a 243 is the absolute minimum caliber for smaller sized deer.

Thanks Guys !!!! I have always used a .30cal & .33cal as they are my main hunting guns. I know that skills are up to it but I was wondering if .223 was. So realy I'm only stuck with a head & neck option for a shot. That doesn't leave much room to screw up!!!!!!!!

I feel that the game deserves more respect than to use a 22 cal bullet. "I personally" am not willing to use a 6mm(.243) either as I have had to try and find wounded deer shot with a 243 which would have been dead with a larger cal firearm. But that is just me and in my hunting conditions. I know you can kill one with a 22(even a 22RF) but the game deserves more.

Good choice to stay with the 30 cal vs a 223.

I've had a few long days tracking deer hit with 22-250's. I'll agree that respect for the game animal requires a bit more gun.

I'm really fond of the 257 wby for WT deer and I load mine a bit light. Most of the loads I use could be duplicated in a 25-06. I think the 6mm's are good, but one must be prepared to pass on a trophy if the shot is less than perfect. If a hunter is up to that standard, essentially a meathunter, it is an acceptable round for WT.

If not, buy a 25 cal or bigger: 270 wcf or WSM, 7MM rem, 257 wby, 264 win, 280, 260 rem, 7mm-08, 6.5-06, 308 win, 250 savage(just for Cloverleaf), and the 300's are all great for WT.

That is just my opinion and thanks for discussing this on the forum.

JT

If I had to use a 223 on deer I would use the 60 gr Nosler Partition or one of the Barns TSX bullets. These would work for a heart/lung shot out to 200 yards. But I don't have to use a 223 for deer. Use at least a 6mm and at least 95 grs of bullet. A 25-06 with a 100 to 117 gr bullet is about perfect for deer.

I have filled my extra doe tag with the 22-250 + 60gn PT. Let's just say I have waited up to 5 minutes for the right angle before shooting one of them.

I do not use it when buck hunting because of size and bucks don't tend to "pose" where we hunt to get that "perfect" shot.

All kills were one shot heart/lung and all pass thrus with the 60gn PT up to 310 yds. Loads were 31.6gn of H322 and 3300fps. That little pill will make a mess of the lungs. I personally don't shoot for the head/neck, I'm a heart/lung guy. My buddy uses the same for his doe tag does the head/neck shot on his when possible.

So unless you can wait for everything to be "right". I would use at least 243 w/ 95-100gn PT or similar quality bullet.

I would just stick with the 30 cal bullet. there is less room for error and the 30 cal bullet will make up for a bad shot more than a .223 cal. Just my $.02

When I first started hunting on the farm was not much of a problem. My dad said that I needed to be a good enough shot to shoot them in the left eye to make it challenging. I was shooting a .243 M70 featherwight with some hand loaded 85 gr speers. I shot four of my first six deer out of the pick up window and all were head shots. My first buck a stalked up on and jumped him. He stopped at about 120 yards and I shot him in the back of the head while I was sitting down. There was no meat wasted, really clean field dressing, and no tracking. I though head shooting was the only way to go, until I blew a jaw off :( Luckily I got another shot and she was done. Another time I shot a doe with my STW and a 150 BT at 250 yards right in the head, dropped her. I put my gun up and started to drive over and she got up and ran off, never to be seen again. A few years ago I has hunting for a meat buck with some fed. loaded 140 AB in my 270 WSM. Found a nice buck and put one though the middle of his neck, dropped him. Put the gun up and headed over to him. He jumped up and took off. I caught up to him two miles later and finished him with a heart shot.

I DON'T LIKE HEAD/NECK SHOTS! I don't do them any more. To many bad things can happen. The little bit of meat wasted far out weights any suffering from a poor head/neck shot.

For me the 6mm is the min. for deer and the only thing to debate on is shot placement; high shoulder or behind the shoulder. If you didn't have a 30 cal and were dead set on hunting with a .223 I would make sure it is with a 60 gr PT, and be VERY careful on the shot placement.

Back