223 WSSM , 22-250 or 220 swift?

talldrink

Beginner
Nov 3, 2006
Looking to replace my Ruger #1. I have a .223 and my daughter has taken it over. Trying to get a few ideas or thoughts if you would. I have owner a swift in the past and loved it. Most of the three I have listed are on my list. The WSSM leaves me with only one choice in rifle, Browning A-bolt. The other two I am looking at the Savage varmit. Thoughts in which Cal you prefer and has anybody had any time with a Browning A-bolt; do they shoot good.
Thanks in adance for any ideas.

The 223 WSM is not ever going to be popular. Down the road its just going to be a problem and the actions are so short yet fat that there are not any other cartridges that will fit well. Better forget that one.

I have shot the Swift for half a century and it's the original death ray for quite a distance. The thing is however that the modern 6mm bullets pioneered by Nosler have overlapped slow twist .224's.

The 55 gr Ballistic Tip and the 58 gr Vmax will do anything a Swift or 22-250 will do and more as they will also shoot long bullets if the range gets beyond 400 or so yards. The 243 will also dispatch larger animals if necessary.

If your going to make that much noise get a 243. Thats what I did in 1957 and the .224's could never run with it. The .224's will make less noise however with reduced loads and smaller bullets for shorter range.

Good luck with your choice.

As said, the 223 wssm is never going to be popular, nor will it even gain popularity. The swift is a good round, but onc again your limited to a couple different rifles. The 22-250 is a good choice, but a bit boring. If I had to do it all over again, I would buy a 243. You can shoot 55g bullets 100-200fps faster then the swift, they buck the wind better, can be had/found in practically anything, and you can use heavier bullets to take deer.

220 Swift - top pick for a long range 22, deadly accurate

22-250 - top pick if cost of loaded ammo is a concern, normally not as accurate as a swift in identical rifles

223 WSSM - too hard on barrels, future availability of brass

204 Ruger :p comes very close to 22-250 distance and 220 swift velocity with much less powder and less recoil...But any one of these 3 would be great!

7mmfan- I was always under the influence that the smaller the case, IE powder volume, the more accurate the round would be in similar rifles, hence the 22-250 "should" be more accurate then a swift. I thought I read somewhere that remington did testing on there 40xb's from .222 up through the swift. I thought I read where they did extensive series of 10 shot groups and the .222 outshot them all, followed by the .223, then 22-250, then the swift. Not trying to argue at all here. I have used the .222, 22-250 and swift and I can say that my .222 is the most accurate and its not even a heavy barrel varmint rifle. The 22-250 and swift are pretty much identical as far as accuracy goes, they are the same rifle, the Ruger Target Grey model. They'll both shoot .25" 3 shot groups at 100 yards with its preferred loads. However, my .222 has shot several groups in the .1's and its a sporter weight rifle. I've just always read/heard that its easier to get smaller cases to shoot routinely better then bigger ones.

In benchrest quality guns, the 220 Swift normally beats the 22-250. Don't ask me why, but it usually does. You always have the exception of course....both are accurate, but BR is a different crowd.

220 Swift - top pick for a long range 22, deadly accurate !!!!

Heck yeah! Stay away from the 223 wssm.

.22-250 AI. Fun to load and shoot. Equals the Swift with less powder. Can shoot factory out of it in a pinch with excellent accuracy. Not all stores carry .220 Swift ammo, but usually you can find .22-250 on the shelf!

Another vote for the .22/250 AI - if you are a reloader. Performance to match the Swift, far better case life due to the sharp shoulder there is less trimming involved as well. IMO the .22/250 is one of the cartridges that has most benefited from the Ackley treatment.

A pic of my .22/250AI. Has a 1:8 twist 26" barrel, sleeved Rem 700 action converted to single shot, Jewell three lever, Picatinny 20MOA tapered rail mount, Warne QRW mounts and all glued into a McMillan prone stock. Shoots great and will push the 80gr Sierra Matchking at a chrony'ed 3200fps. I plan on trying the Nosler Custom Comp bullets through it when my stock of Sierra run down a bit.

normal_DSCF0017.JPG

Very nice rifle and set up to shoot the heavies, really nice!!!

Nice to see others setting them up for LR shooting with heavies, instead of them light little zippy bullets that dont do any good past 300 yards.

You may want to check into the 22-243 Middlestead. It is faster then the 220 swift and shoots very flat. Been told it can shoot a 50 grain Nosler around 4300 fps with deadly accuracy. You can also get a 40 grain bullet just smokin'. Very accurate rifle if built right. I currently have a 22-250 and the 22-243 Middlested is going to be my next purchase.

I have to vote for the 22-250 or the 22-250 AI if you want somenthing exotic. I also would steer you towards some of the 6mm or 6.5 mm rounds if you want a long range gun due to the ability to shoot heavier, higher bc bullets. But if you are looking for a 22 cal, the 223 (cheap to shoot) and the 22-250 are the best choices in my opinion. Good luck,
Mark

Back