225 gr Speer BTSP on elk

dsnook

Beginner
Jan 20, 2005
This was recovered from my spike bull this season. Muzzle velocity was 2600 fps from a .338 RCM with a 20" barrel. Range was approximately 50 yards, with a steep downhill angle. The shot went in between the shoulders at the base of the neck. The bullet went through the spine and offside shoulder and came to rest just under the hide. Bullet weight is 162 gr. with max expansion right at .740"

The bull dropped it it's tracks...or should I say it's bed, as that's where I found him.

I finally found some Sierra 215 gr GKBT to try, but this is pretty good performance from the Speer's.

D

Attachments

• bullet 004.JPG
    bullet 004.JPG
    221.5 KB · Views: 1,752
Good recovery on the bullet. Speer Hot Cor bullets have always worked well for me. They are a bit scarce up here, but they worked well.

Congratulations on you bull and a great catch with the Speer 338 225 gr BTSP.
That bullet did a great job and held up well.

JD338

Very nice. Great recovery. Even at full on 338 Win speeds that bullet isn't a slouch.

Glad to see more Speer posts popping up here lately. When they're not pushed to extremes, it looks like they do very well. I'm hoping to get about the same results from my 338 Fed w/ 200's that will started at about the same velocity.

Tested "best overall" in a long running test (13 years)in Canada back in the 90's, when comparing all the preamium Stuff at the time. Testing done outta 35 Whelens/350 Rem Mags,/ 358 Win. (Lot of Yukon guides involved) The Speer 250, simply just could NOT be outdone, by any of them. With many dozens of bullets recovered from various animals, but mostly moose, And when the smoke all cleared, even in
In todays world of fancy boxes, and hyped up advertising, Speer was still there! Often overlooked, but they should never be underrated or under estimated!

Back