225 grain sierra prohunter

big rifle man

Handloader
Dec 21, 2005
Over the course of bagging elk I've used 225 grain bullets from many of our manufacturers. My feeling is when a bullet reaches that weight the construction is pretty robust. When the 225 grain prohunter bullet from Sierra became available I tried it in my RUM and found it not lacking in penetration and weight retention. It drops Elk with the same authority that all other bullets of that weight category do. My last Bull Elk with this bullet was shot broadside at 125 yards. Classic low behind the right shoulder. At the shot the bull turned to his left, stood for about 5 seconds and then dropped on the spot. Excellent penetration (out the other side) definite difference between entry and exit hole size.

Nice, it is good to have options with the big 338's! I imagine that Pro Hunter is a pretty tough customer as well. The PH's seems to keep together better than the boattails do. Might be hard to keep one of them inside just about any animal. Scotty

BRM,

I agree with you that bullets offered by most manufacturers that are characteristed by mass and larger frontal area are robust. Almost always, they will get the job done. If there is a failure, it is usually the result of poor shot placement and not catastrophic bullet failure.

Back