240 Weatherby Magnum

wildman

Beginner
Jun 13, 2009
I have been shooting a Rem. model 700 BDL 243 win. since I was a 12 year old boy .Killed about every thing that swims, walks, or crawls with it here in these ozark hills of arkansas.Here lately I have been Pondering the idea of maybe trying one of the weatherby 240 mags. Could any of you fellers tell me if you like the 240 and if you can tell much difference between it and a 243 win . on game performance ?

I have shot/killed game with a lot of 6mm rounds. I used a long barreled 6x47 (222 mag necked up to 6mm) 6mm Remington, 6mm/284 (which is same as 240w) and with the 240w itself. BY FAR, the 240W is your huckleberry! It works Jim Dandy, but use either the monobullets or Partitions. I used the older 90X and the older 95 NBT. I have a guy in my church who uses his 240W and the 95 Partition on everything out here, antelope/muleys/elk, for the past 40 yrs! Hid teenage son killed a big 5 pt bull elk 2 yrs ago with it! It is easy to handload ( I liked 54gr of R19 and the 90/95grs) and factory ammo is around. Some use the 100gr Nosler as well with great results. To me, its the only 6mm worth using...Its not a "plinker" of course, but it is a hand carried Lightnin Bolt! did I say I really liked the 240 Weatherby? ha Happy Thanksgiving Pard!

I just acquired a 240 WBY. I can't speak to on-game performance yet. On paper it will do everything the 243 will a hundred yards more than the 243. I have to say so far I really like the cartridge and rifle combination. It's an inherently accurate cartridge. I say that having a 243 win also. I like it but like the 240 much more. I wish I had bought the 240 first. Check out either the Vanguard Back-Country or Vanguard Wilderness models in the 240 WBY.

My 240 bee does 3510 fps with magpro with a 90 gr AccuBond and magpro from my 24" vanguard! Huge diff from my 243's

Thanks for the info. fellers I'm thinking I might just have to get myself a early christmas present looking really close at the weatherby wilderness model vanguard .

Back