243 95 grain BT?

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
Has anyone used this bullet on game? If so what were your results? What loads worked for you? Thanx

Yes I have. A couple years ago I used a Ruger KM77RFP MKII in .243 with 95gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips loaded with H-4350 (I'd have to go look at the exact charge weight but I seem to think it was 42.5grs. but don't quote me on that). Accuracy was simply amazing (I wish that Rifle would have shot varmint weight bullets as good). Average Muzzle Velocity was 3071 FPS.

I took 4 Whitetails with that bullet-n-load and all were one shot kills. The farthest was over 300 yards, with the others around the 200 yard mark. The farthest any of these Deer traveled after the shot was a large doe that made a 40 yard circle. As she completed the first lap she collapsed. One other Doe took about 3 leaps and collapsed and the other two dropped in their tracks. In all instances the bullet was placed behind the near side shoulder, midway backbone to brisket.

Exit wounds were 25 cent piece size or a little larger. I never did find an evidence that the bullets broke up at all while field dressing these 4 Whitetails.

In my opinion the 95gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips turned the .243 into a real killing machine.

I can't remember the name he went buy but there was a guy on this forum that convinced me to give the 95gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips a try, and I am sure glad I did.

Larry

POP,
I think that would make a great short distance deer round. From what I understand the .243 is about like it's bigger brothers the 7-08 & .308 and doesn't appear to be too finicky with powder slection ??

I can tell you the 95gr V-max out of the .260 puts the hurt on the yotes :grin: First two, very little visible damage... second one about in half.

I've shot a bunch of stuff with the 95 NBT out of my 6mm Rem.... Muleys, pronghorn, coyotes, a bunch of ferel goats and sheep (which are mighty tough I might add)... even one ferel pig that was wrecking havoc on a neighbors garden. Everything I've shot with one of those nasty little pills went down post haste... and I never recovered a bullet... though I don't recall actually ever looking for one. My 6mm would run them just shy of 3300 with RE-22... hot on the heels of the 25-06/100 NBT (my personal favorite). If it were deer/pronghorn/coyotes on the menu... I wouldn't hesitate to shoot that bullet, in fact... I can't think of a better choice in projectiles.

What about closer ranges? Will it expand too quickly, and not penetrate, or does someone have experience inside 100yds that says this bullet is the right choice for white-tails?

Killed a bunch of the goats (tougher than any whitetail on the planet) inside 100 yards... two at less than 30... full penetration everytime. The pig (150#s) I shot was also just inside 100 yards... blew-up both lungs... baseball size exit... sausage baby.

I "stole" something. Too good to pass up. Savage 243, case ,scope, ammo etc........

hmmm, I've been fiddling with 90gr Swift Sciroccos in my 243, but I may have to grab some BT's.

I use a 95gr silver BT from Combined Tech. in my .243. 42.5 grs of H4381
The pill does not seem to expand much, but it does kill them deers. Shot 12 WT's, 10 behind the shoulder (they went 20 yrds and piled up) and two head shots.... :grin: I am happy with that and like my .243. Some rounds went through ribs in and out and did not see a noticable differance in the diameter of the holes. Go figure.....but it works so I keep using it.

7828 looks good with 95g+ bullets out of the .243. Seems to produce good velocity, though have never really tinkered with it in .243.

I've mainly messed with 55-70g bullets w/H-380 and IMR-4064, IMR-4350 out of my moms Ruger .243 as its main use is a coyote rifle. I did use 100g SBT's w/IMR-4831 and was getting somewhere around 3100fps I want to say from a 22" bbl though, and 1/2 MOA accuracy to 525 yards...

tpbscha":b42w7arx said:
hmmm, I've been fiddling with 90gr Swift Sciroccos in my 243, but I may have to grab some BT's.

I tested some 90gr. Swift Sciroccos in my Ruger .243. I never could get them to shoot as accurately or as fast as the 95gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips. I never did shoot any game with them, just paper.

Larry

Larry, I get good accuracy with 44gr IMR4831 and CCI BR-2 primers. Most loads with IMR 4350 and 4831 were 1" or less with the Sciroccos seated .010 off. Best group was .38" @ 100 and .54"@200yds. Rem model 7 rifle. I have not chronographed this load yet.

In my Ruger I couldn't get the Swifts to shoot less than 1 1/2" most of the time. I only tried H-4350 as that is all I had on hand at the time. I did shoot some in a 15" Encore but don't honestly remember how they shot in that.

Larry

it has been a while but i have killed 4 or 5 deer with the 95gr ballistic tip. gave the rem 788 that liked them as a gift to my stepson. h414 and mag primers was what i used. very good performace when i put them where i wanted them.

The 95 gr Ballistic Tip has given great accuracy and on-game performance from our 6mm Remington. Really does a number on a mulie...

Back