40 Varmagdedons in No.1V 22-250??

Soup

Beginner
Aug 11, 2022
Folks,
I loaded some 40grain Varmagdedon using 36 grains of Accurate 2520, and 36.5 grains of Accurate Big Game for 50 grain Varmagdedeons. Results were horrible!! I'm shooting a Ruger No.1V,-action is bedded-barrel is bedded and free floated and it's got a Canjar set trigger.
I'm wondering if anyone is using either of those bullets / powder with good results. If not these 2 powders what? I've got several powders available -Alliant-VV-Hodgdon & 760.
Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.
Semper Fidelis
Soup

I'm running the 50gr Varmagedons in my #1v pushed by varget accuracy is acceptable, 3/4 MOA. Do you get good accuracy with other loads?

I shoot the 40g tipped version in a R700 222 and they shoot 3/8-1/2 MOA easy at 3500fps with IMR4198.

I don't think the bullet is the issue here.

I used Varget with the 50 gr BT in a M700 VLS 22-250. It shot lights out and accounted for several coyotes.

JD338

I used Varget with the 50 gr BT in a M700 VLS 22-250. It shot lights out and accounted for several coyotes.

JD338
Fellows,
Well, I tried 6 different powder and OAL combinations.
Zilch. Shot them all today over a few hours, it was a beautiful day in Southern NJ, and only loaded 5 of each combination.
My 1V DOES NOT like 40 grain Varmagdedons or BT.
Moving on to see what 50s will do.
Thanks for your input.
Semper Fidelis
Soup

Damn, good luck with the 50s. Can you show a pic of the groups?
Salmonchaser,
Thank you for your reply.
I was so frustrated I just left them on the frame -and another club member was waiting on a frame so I packed up and went home.
Soup

I recall you said you bedded the foreend to the action, always a good move. I have removed the fore end and rested the spring hanger on the front bag, support. Had that front support (bag) clear back at the action. Simple test will identify a pressure point problem in the forearm. I've used that successfully a couple times and both rifles shoot 1/2 MOA at 300 now. That damn screw holding the forearm on can be a PIA.
Good luck.

Folks,
I've got some Sierra 53 grain Match bullets.
I loaded them yesterday with 34 grains of H 4895. According to the Sierra rep on the phone today I should be about 3550 fps in a 14-twist barrel. I think Ruger No.1 22-250 varmint barrels are 1 in 14 twists. Speed is NOT my concern just accuracy!
Hopefully I can get to the range this week. Wish me luck.
Semper Fidelis
Soup

Down South 68-69

Back