243 Deer Bullet?

wisconsinteacher

Handloader
Dec 2, 2010
I have been playing with the 85 grain Partition all summer and just can't get it to do what I want as far as group size. I have tried IMR4350 and 4895 and get groups in the 2-2.5" range. I plan on attacking this rifle right away next summer and want to have some bullets ready to try. What would you recommend I try? The rifle is a Browning XBolt and I would like to stay away from the Btip because I have a nice load with the 70 grain Btip in the rifle and don't want to have two hunting rounds with the same color tip.

Two things......
1. Look at the 95 gr PT with IMR4350
2. Use magic markers to color code the primer pocket. I use green for mid weight bullets and red for heavy weight bullets.
IMG_07431.jpg

JD338

95gn Hornady SST is pretty close to the BTip in my rifle, run it over IMR 4350. Haven't hunted with the SST though so I don't have first hand experience with it. The 95 BTip is slick for small to medium sized deer.

You ruled out what has proven to be the best 6mm deer bullet I've ever used, the 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip.

That particular bullet was a pet project of a bullet designer at Nosler, Gale Root. He knew what he was doing, and built what may be the perfect 6mm deer bullet. It's got a very thick base and a tapered jacket. My son and I have used it to great effect on both mule deer and whitetail at ranges from Very Close to 300 yards or so - I can't remember anything but one-shot drops.

It's also the single most accurate bullet I've ever shot from my 6mm Remington. (y)

So... Phooey. Doggone it, you're not interested.

Okay... Then I'd go with the 105 gr Speer, alas, Speer no longer makes that fabled game-getter. :?

And then the 85 grain Nosler Partition - but that's not shooting well from your rifle. I used those all the way back in the 1970's. Shame it didn't work out for you, because the muzzle velocity on it can be scorching! :grin:

Man, I'm running out of options... You've eliminated my three most favored 6mm deer bullets!

Okay, one more, the 100 grain Nosler Solid Base! Oh crud, they don't make that anymore either. But it was a good bullet and I've got quite a few left. Accurate and lethal. Usually an exit wound too.

The 100 gr Partition performs very well, just like the other Partitions, it does great on game. Also, I was pleasantly surprised and pleased to see it producing sub MOA groups at 300 yards. Not a lot under 3", but under, solidly under. I'd go with that in a heartbeat - and have some right here... Good bullet. Heck, I'd shoot any deer with that bullet, and expect typical Partition results.

I think I've referenced this page before for .243 shooters. It's oriented more at the match shooter, but applicable to any user of the .243 Win. Well worth the read:

http://www.6mmbr.com/243Win.html

Regards, Guy

I've used 100 gr game kings in a Federal premium load. They shot great and performed well on deer, though i didn't always get pass throughs with my 243 at close range.

When I was developing two different PH loads for my 06 and 280, I sent the techs at Sierra an email asking if the PH and GK are constructed differently. They indicated they were constructed the same, one just has a boat rail. The PH loads shoot great in my guns and I wouldn't hesitate to use them hunting.

Maybe try the 90 grain AB WT... I get good looking groups with RL19 but I'm sure most any decent powder in that burn rate will work.

I'm with Guy though, the 95 BT is AWESOME on deer. Easy to overlook it but oh man does it hurt them...

SJB358":wyxdyqbw said:
Maybe try the 90 grain AB WT... I get good looking groups with RL19 but I'm sure most any decent powder in that burn rate will work.

I'm with Guy though, the 95 BT is AWESOME on deer. Easy to overlook it but oh man does it hurt them...

You can use both the 70r and the 95 gr BT's by simply color coding the cases. :wink:

JD338

I will add, I load 55, 70, and 95 BTips in my 243. We'll marked boxes keep them apart. PDogs get the 55, song dogs get the 70, and prairie rats get the 95.

I ran into the same thing a few years ago so I switched to the ballistic silver tip. The sst is also a great option.

Guy, you have now changed my mind. The 95 Btip option is back on the table. I will try to get my hands on some over the next few months and load them up next summer.

I had a 6mm/284 built up back in 2001. It would absolutely zing that 95 NBT! I shot an antelope doe around 150yds with it. On that small, thin skinned animal it killed like lightening and but also blood shot about a third of her! ha. I'm not sure if they were still the Old Style NBT back then, but that is to be expected with a tiny bullet going a tad over 3500 fps! In a regular .243 it "may or may not" be as destructive but hey, no worse than a .270/30-06! It is what it is. I know it was a very accurate bullet and really bucked the wind. Back in Texas, the 100gr CorLokt and Winchester 100gr Power Point Plus ( moly coated then, remember anyone?) were the two most popular in friends .243s. I have a church member who only uses the 95gr NP in his .240 Bee. I've used the 85gr XBT in a 6x47mm wildcat that was running at 243 speeds to kill Axis and Oryx. Lots of folks think a 243 is too small for deer, well, I never saw that. Heck, I have a girl cousin who only uses the 22-250 and 55gr every year for Texas deer, 4 at a time! ha.

wisconsinteacher":2os1rstv said:
Guy, you have now changed my mind. The 95 Btip option is back on the table. I will try to get my hands on some over the next few months and load them up next summer.

Good plan WT.
The 6mm 95 gr BT kills way out of proportion to its size. It won't let you down.

JD338

For sure. I saw my young cousin in his first year of hunting take an excited shot at a running Northern NY deer. Ended up shooting here in the hips and that 95 BT broke the hips and ranged forward into the liver/lung area. She bled like crazy and was dead 100 paces from the shot (downhill). While it was poor placement, that bullet held up and killed the deer. That sorta shot asks a lot from a big bullet let alone a small caliber. I was impressed. Up till that point I'd take 4-5 with the 95 BT and never recovered one.

If you stick it in the front end I think you'll love them. My older cousin has been running them from his 243 for 10 years and calls the "purple deer eaters" as most give up really quick.

wisconsinteacher":3sxgq6y5 said:

I was being a little silly in my answer above - sometimes I can't help myself - but it is a really good bullet.

Thing is, there are a LOT of really good deer bullets in 6mm. I think most of them from 90 - 100 gr are going to please, as long as they shoot well from your rifle.

Regards, Guy

How does the 90 gr BT compare to the 95 gr in terminal performance? I would think they would be pretty similar. I just picked up a box at Cabela's, 25% off Nosler products right now.

Barnes 85gr TSX, absolutely lethal!

My top 2 picks for terminal performance in the 243 are 85gr Partition OR 85gr TSX. I have never had a gun that wouldn't shoot one or the other but rare to see a gun shoot both well, for whatever reason.

I just asked for QL to give you some powders to select but I am running them with 44gr of IMR4831 but that may not even be best powder choice, just has worked well for me.

My oldest son killed his first deer with the 95gr BT over 41gs of 4350, just shy of 3000fps. The shot was a frontal as he came up the creek bank at about 40yds. Bullet entered center of the chest, jellied everything and was found in the left ham. He dropped in his tracks. A nice 135" 8pt. Both my brother and father killed a slew with that load. Never had one walk away.

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowled ... ester.html

If you scroll down the page to the 'handloading' section, you'll find some excellent findings from Nathan Fosters detailed professional study of hunting and bullet performance.
Well worth reading with details for many bullet & cartridge combinations in the 'Knowledgebase' section.

Personally, I found a 95gn Nosler BT with 44gns of Vit.N160 was pretty damn good & while shot placement is important, I shot quite a few red stags (a couple getting toward elk size beast) and many more hinds using my Steyr .243 stutzen.
Cheers, ET

Back