.243 lite loads

ofdscooby

Beginner
Nov 2, 2010
Sorry if this has been discussed before I did a search and didnt come up with much. Maybe I didn’t enter the right buzz words but I did do a search. I’m trying to get a .243 I have, ready for my daughter she is going to try and do a doe hunt right after we 10th birthday next November and I want her to start shooting soon. I have one of the Rossi switch barrel guns I got from a buddy not the best long term set up but the stock fits both my kids right now. If your not familiar with the Rossi just picture an HR hands rifle. So I have a bunch of 55 and 70 gran BT’s on hand and some Nosler brass would like to work up a lite load. This whole thing of working down seems weird do I just reduce the load until I find accuracy and less recoil. Are there any dangers to going too low. Any help would be appreciated.

I wouldn't download with any powder outside of listed minimum loads. There are a couple of powders that work real well and the one I used for my kids and a 243 was H4895. I ran 75's, 80's, 90's and 100's with the Hodgdon reduced loads and they were downright awesome for the kids to shoot. Felt like a strong 22 magnum..

The rule of thumb for H4895 is to take a max load and multiply it by 60% and that is the load to start with. I kinda bump up and down a little to find the speed you are looking for that makes sense for the kids. Currently working with a 7-08 with the same method with 120's and H4895.

I think this is one of the best kept secrets for kids to get into it. There is still the muzzle blast part of it, but most of the time given adequate hearing and eye protection you can work them through it. 55's with a light load of H4895 would be very minimal in any 243 in my opinion. Great place to start them.

Here is the calc that I come up with.

70 grain bullet, max listed on Hodgdon for H4895 is 39.5

39.5 x .60 = 23.7

So, that is a rough estimate for the 70 grain bullets. Hope that helps out some.

Back