243 win.

Hawkeye, the rifle shoots really good but is still ugly as sin. I did add a steel trigger guard, plastic just don't cut it for that. I adjusted the trigger down to 3 1/2 lbs and it seem pretty crisp. Again not bad for a cheap rifle. I'd say the trigger on this one is much better than the one on the 700 ADL 25-06 I bought at Academy nine years ago. I like the rifle alot, even with the cheap stock. Maybe a coat of olive green paint will dress it up a bit.

I have always had excellent luck with Sierra 100gr bullets using IMR4831 powder for whitetail deer. Another excellent whitetail bullet in the 243 is the 85HPBT Sierra once again with IMR4831. I also have very good results using IMR4064 in both the 243 WIN and 6MM Rem.

I have always used Rem Brass for both the 243 and 6mm.

Michael C. Smith":2jha8s6u said:
I am going to need to get some brass for the 243 when I get the rifle what do yall suggest?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Lapua is the best I've used. I also use some Winchester with prep work...

Bruce Mc":nuyxitsm said:
A .243 win 700 Remington ADL I bought at Academy before Christmas shoots sub MOA with 90gr Accubonds and Reloder 22. That load chronographed at 3130 fps in a different 700 with a 2" shorter barrel. It shoots groups a tad over 1/2" with a 70gr BT and Reloder 16 at 3650 fps.
Would you recommend getting a new Remington ADL?
I have a buddy who says they aren't worth buying.
But I've always heard good things about the rifles, and have read good reviews.
I would like to buy one, but am conflicted.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

With you guys talking about .243's, I had to go out and get one myself. I realized I didn't have a super predator rifle in my small arsenal. I've had prior experience with the .243 in the past, and love the little cartridge.
I decided to go with a Remington 700 ADL, and am swapping the scope out.

Smithy, a good 100g BTSP will do everything you want insofar as what you stated in the OP. The 95g NBT would more than fill the bill too.

I actually really like the Speer 100g BTSP as an all round game bullet and they are cheap too. Very accurate for me and they’ve got a healthy drag profile.

I like H4350 and R17 for bullets in that weight range. But we don’t have such a wide range of powders available in Australia - you have many more options.

Thanks for the info. This project is on hold right now. The rifle is going back to Remington. It will not shoot. I have put 68 rounds down the tube. It will group anywhere from a 1 in group to 8inches. I have already taking it to a gunsmith that put it in a Macmillan stock and put a known good scope on it. He had the same results as i did. We have tried two factory ammos. I tried nosler and hornady bullets and 2 different powders with the same results. Disipointed right now to say the least. This was my first rem700.

That's a real bummer to hear. I've tried a lot of loads in the 2 .243's I have. The Savage shoots most anything under an inch but it took a lot of work to find what it likes. It will do 3/8" groups. The Mossberg will only do 1" with the best loads. Some were 3-4" which is obviously pretty dismal. 8" groups has to be something really wrong!

Just to throw something out there....

Did you try a regular Spitzer bullet?
Maybe it liked a longer bearing surface on the bullet to get decent groups?

Just my 2 cent's worth.

I had to chage my 243 from a howa to a browning Abolt cos it would not group the heaver bullits

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

HAWKEYESATX":2yr40ol7 said:
Just to throw something out there....

Did you try a regular Spitzer bullet?
Maybe it liked a longer bearing surface on the bullet to get decent groups?

Just my 2 cent's worth.

Yea I tried the hornady 100g btsp interlock with h4350. Same results all over the place. The gun will shoot a decent group then the next one may be 6 Inches.

Here is a example of a target shot with h4350. Here was a ladder test shot r19. First 4 shots tight cluster 5 was 4 inches high then number 6 back in the tight cluster. Then the rest were all over the place.
f930f1b439f32ec80a1db88fd7bfc62e.jpg
edd162409d46111107097136820093ff.jpg

Im sorry, I should have been more clear when asking about the bullet selection. Have you tried using a flat based bullet, instead of a boat tail? Like the one in the picture?
5392a2c158394cab84528792b79683bf.jpg

Hopefully Remington replaces the gun or the barrel for you. From those targets, my guess is that the barrel is copper fouling really badly after a few shots?

HAWKEYESATX":uc8eot60 said:
Im sorry, I should have been more clear when asking about the bullet selection. Have you tried using a flat based bullet, instead of a boat tail? Like the one in the picture?

Yes tried some like on the right.

desertcj":2tewmn9b said:
Hopefully Remington replaces the gun or the barrel for you. From those targets, my guess is that the barrel is copper fouling really badly after a few shots?
The gunsmith seems to thank there's something going on in the chamber area. The barrel isn't coppering up very bad.

Michael C. Smith":1f7f3mb7 said:
HAWKEYESATX":1f7f3mb7 said:

Yes tried some like on the right.

I would try the one on the left, to see if your rifle likes a longer bearing surface on bullets. I would play with the bullet seating as well, to see if your rifle might have a longer than usual neck (freebore), and it may require you to seat your bullets out a little further than usual.
I have had great results with the Sierra Game Kings in .25-06. Extremely accurate, and lethal, and didn't show that much more drop down range compared to the boat tail Spitzer.

man it seems a guy would have to try and get one to group that poorly . looks to be mechanical . I'd say a lot more than a good load will correct .

I didn't go to the beginning and reread through this thread , maybe you already answered these questions . excuse me if you did . I'm not trying to be a smart aleck . maybe one of these will turn the light on , and help you solve the problem .

is the scope mounted tight , rings and bases ? is the scope good ? is the stock touching on the barrel ? does the magazine box float ? are the action screws tight ? is the front sling stud touching the barrel ? is the barrel tight in the action ? does the crown look good ? is the stock hammered out at the recoil lug ? are you keeping the sand bags under the stock , and not touching the barrel when shooting ? wrapping your thumb up over the barrel ? magneto speed attached ? that's all I can think of for now .

Back