25-06 100 gr Ballistic tips

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
I just got a 25-06 and was thinking of using the 100 gr ballistic tip for double duty. What I mean is use it for coyotes, antelope and deer. Anyone have any experience with these on deer. Also what are your favorite loads? Velocity? Accuracy? Thanx

I shoot these through my Stainless Sendero. Excellent on deer out to 688 yards and 624 yards. Good expantion on close range too. They are mean on coyotes, if you want him dead, great bullet, if you want to save the hide and sell it or mount it, I would shoot something in a smaller caliber (it tears the heck out it).

My pet load is 58 grain Reloader 22, Win Mag primer with an overall case length of 3.252. This is a hot load start alot lighter and work up. Velocity at 10' is 3410 fps.

I started out using the 100 gr BT, and after several deer in the 100 yd or less range I decided that it was just to much damage for me. It did however drop them on the spot.

I used about the same load recommended above, however I switched to the Partition in 115gr. With 56.5 gr of the RL-22, I am getting about 3150 fps, out of my rifle, and get better downrange energy from the heavier bullet. Best part is, about the same amount or meat damage at 50 yds as it is at 300 yds.

This load shoots in right at or just under an inch at 200 most times from a good rest. As suggested work up to it. It is however listed in the Hornady 4th Ed. manual for a 117gr bullet.

Good luck with which ever you choose, I know we have really enjoyed our's.

Out of my .257 Weatherbys they work great at longer ranges. I have not used them on game in this cartridge under 200 yards (or over 350 for that matter), and in fact have gone to X-bullets for better performance at the shorter ranges. The 100 BTips are pretty explosive up close out of the Weatherby.

But out of my .250 Savage they work great, with good penetration and ample but not excessive meat damage. If you use them in the .25-06 at under 200 yards, use lung shots and don't put a bullet into the shoulder. :grin:

POP,

Great bullet and the bullet of choice for my M700 Classic in 257 Roberts.
These bullets group in the .5's consistantly out of my rifle.
They work great on the local coyotes.

Regards,

JD338

I've taken a 16 inch antelope buck at 425 yards, a 4X4 mulie buck from his bed at 35 yards, and several coyotes out to 350 yards with the 100 grain BTs. My favorite load is 54 grains of IMR 4831, right at 3400 fps out of a 26 inch tub with 1/2 to 3/4 inch groups in four different rifles. In fact starting at 51.5 and working to 54 - 54.5 is the load I recommend in the 25-06. I haven't yet seen a properly tuned rifle that wouldn't shoot it under an inch with 100 grain BTs.

Brad

First time poster here, but longtime Nosler fan. My first deer fell in the scrub oaks of So. Oregon back in '71 to an original (with the cannelures) 180 gr Partition in 30-06 handloaded by my Dad. Loaded them since.

The .25 100gr. BT is extremely accurate in my custom 25-06, but I don't use it for deer due to having shots as close as 20 yds here in the jungles of Georgia. I have used 100 gr Partitions with excellent results on very close shots as well as 100 yd+ shots. MV averages 3290 with my reloads.

Next project is working up loads for the 110 gr AccuBond......... Very anxious to poke a whitetail with one.

Sako

POP, for the use you suggest, the 100 grain Ballistic Tip should work just fine.

I readily admit that I normally shoot the 100 grain Partition in my 25-06 for game, but I see no reason the BT would not work well in most cases.

I saw two antelope killed this fall with .257 Wby Mags using the 100 grain BT at over 3600 fps. Both were one shot kills at over 400 yards. Both animals just crumpled. The bullets did not exit, but the internal damage was extensive. The taxidermist liked the small entrance holes.

I have to agree with 7mmfan on the load to use. With 100 grain bullets in my 25-06 I load 54 grains of IMR 4831. I shot some of the Partitions loaded with that charge last week and even though they were "seconds" the three of them were under a half inch.

I would go for the 115g BT if it was me. Still an excellent coyote bullet. Better suited to deer I feel because if you hit bone, you more then likely will not get an exit with the 100g. I have shot several bucks with the 115g BT all in the shoulders with complete penetration and they all dropped right there on the spot as well. Might not be as fast, but around 400 yards the added BC on the 115g catches up and is superior to the 100g. The 115g BT will get you out to 600 yards on deer, I know for sure. I would only go about 500 yards with the 100g BT. Just my opinion. I have tons of loads for this bullet as well.

pop , wise choice,100 grain bal tips will super fly.... i loaded some 100 grain sierra match kings behind 52.0 grn of imr4350 remington case or federal didn''t matter federal 210 match primer and let fly, my rifle rem 700 26 inch pipe shot a 4.5 inch group as fast as i could bolt a shoot off the bench at 600 yards, just use your n bts, what kind of # 1 did you get i''m guessing a #1 b regards, ps i bet your injoying your hayabusa i also owned one a 2000 blue and silver great choice AGAIN... regards jjmp

I dropped my deer this year using my 25-06 with the 120 grain Partition. I get a chronographed muzzle velocity of 3008 fps using 49 grains of IMR 4350.

Back