.25-06 700 CDL at 300 yds

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Didn't get to shoot the .25-06 enough yesterday to keep me happy, so I hauled it out to the rifle range with me again today. Had some 5 year old ammo loaded with 115 gr Berger VLD bullets to burn up, and some 115 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip ammo loaded a couple of days ago to confirm my zero with as well. This rifle is the one I choose for hunting most often the past 9 years or so. It's done great on mule deer, pronghorn and coyotes.

Plinked around a little from sitting & prone, unsupported except for the sling, at 300 yards. Here's a photo of my last two shots, from prone/sling at 300. I think she's ready:

Regards, Guy

BTW, the old Carhart is my "Jeep coat." It's always in the Jeep and has helped me out a few times. Today it was my shooting mat, 'cause guess what I left at home? :mrgreen:

Guy Miner":1fky3cdv said:
Didn't get to shoot the .25-06 enough yesterday to keep me happy, so I hauled it out to the rifle range with me again today. Had some 5 year old ammo loaded with 115 gr Berger VLD bullets to burn up, and some 115 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip ammo loaded a couple of days ago to confirm my zero with as well. This rifle is the one I choose for hunting most often the past 9 years or so. It's done great on mule deer, pronghorn and coyotes.

Plinked around a little from sitting & prone, unsupported except for the sling, at 300 yards. Here's a photo of my last two shots, from prone/sling at 300. I think she's ready:

Regards, Guy
More than ready.
Outstanding shooting sir.

Vince

Guy,

You are good to go my friend.
Nice shooting.

JD338

Awesome shooting Guy! I have the same rifle and she's a much better shooter than i'll ever be.

truck driver":2xkkfhy1 said:
Very nice shooting Guy. Is that a factory pad on that rifle?

Yes. It's nine years old now I think. Soft and sticky. Could replace it but... Meh. It's fine.

I'd rather have the same size Pachmayer though. Or no recoil pad at all, but I don't want to change the length of pull. Could deal with another 1/2" of LOP, but don't want it any shorter.

Regards, Guy

Very nice shooting! Minute of coyote for sure. Maybe 10 or so years ago I had a couple of Remmy pads go sticky on me also not too long after special ordering the rifles, pitched a bitch to Remington and they replaced them free of charge. Apparently it was some sort of a manufacturers defect. New pads worked out fine.

Man Guy, I'm surprised those .257 bullets even MADE it to the target, let alone left a mark on the steel. Everyone knows you need at .600 BC and 3000 FPS to be lethal on ground squirrels! :grin:

Great shooting though. I love that set up you have. Really thinking I'm going to try something similar pretty soon.

Mmmmm. Don't have the BC with those bullets. Though the 115 Berger VLD's are pretty slick.

But it's sure got the velocity. 115's at 3120 - 3200, depending on the specific load. And real nice accuracy with just a gentle nudge to my shoulder. No wonder I like this rifle...

Guy

Yup. They're not bad... Accurate & good killin' bullets too. Bergers have done well for me in the past.

I was just kidding. BC plays a pretty small role in my pick of hunting bullets most of the time.

Your 25-06 just flat out shoots Guy.

That it does Scotty. Surprisingly little load development involved either.

I remember my thought process:

Huh, I'd like to try some 115 - 120's. Wonder what a good powder might be? Hodgdon lists Retumbo. Huh, just sold my .300 RUM, what am I going to do with that Retumbo powder stuff. I dunno, let's try some behind these 115 gr Bergers....

And the first group was nearly down to 1/2 MOA... Then I started bumping the powder charge. Things got tighter & faster. It was a good thing.

Am back to Noslers now. I like the bullet exits from the B-Tips, which shoot nearly as flat and nearly as accurately as the Bergers. Yes, it's a shooter. Worked well with RL-22 and the "heavy" bullets too.

I still like H4350 with the 100's, but rarely shoot 100's from it anymore.

Guy

That's the same Rifle I bought my Son for his first rifle. Why because a 25-06 is a lot more than a .243 & recoil is not to stiff. I like you feel it makes a great deer & antelope rifle.

Back